Thinking of keeping homing pigeons

:love It looks like they are happy together! Is there a separate nestbox or defined nesting area for each pair?
Once I have the loft built in a couple days there will be! I'm waiting on a friend with a lot more building knowledge than I do to help, or else I'm afraid they might be living in the leaning tower of pigeon lol. Would there be any chance of them pairing differently if I add the other pair back with this one now? Or should everything be set at this point

And I'm trying to decide on the color of the roofing, the clear is the easiest for me to get, but I don't think I've seen lofts with clear roofing, is there a reason for that?

Once I have the loft built in a couple days there will be! I'm waiting on a friend with a lot more building knowledge than I do to help, or else I'm afraid they might be living in the leaning tower of pigeon lol. Would there be any chance of them pairing differently if I add the other pair back with this one now? Or should everything be set at this point
There is always a chance, but I think its very unlikely they would. I'd consider leaving them separate until their loft is ready unless you have a reason not to.

And I'm trying to decide on the color of the roofing, the clear is the easiest for me to get, but I don't think I've seen lofts with clear roofing, is there a reason for that?
IDK if there's a reason. Letting in more daylight should be a plus, don't know if it would cause overheating in summer? Someone else might know if there's a downside.

Clear roofing is just fine. :thumbsup
Common reason you don't see much of it; Cost VS that for simple other roof options. Also local weather situations where heavier snow loads may be at risk. Don't think snow is a risk factor in your area.

There is always a chance, but I think its very unlikely they would. I'd consider leaving them separate until their loft is ready unless you have a reason not to.

IDK if there's a reason. Letting in more daylight should be a plus, don't know if it would cause overheating in summer? Someone else might know if there's a downside.
Thanks for the help! I'll just leave them separate until it's finished hopefully Friday. And I ended up getting white roofing since the clear was out of stock anyways so hopefully it'll work well! I unfortunately can't make the loft as big as I'd like, it's only going to be 24 sq feet but hopefully it'll be enough to keep these guys happy!

Not the best photos since it's pretty late here but the loft is (sloooowly) coming together. Spent as much of today and yesterday working on it as I could before the heat got me lol. And I felt too bad for the white pair being stuck indoors so I put them back with the other pair outside and everyone seems to be sticking with the partner I'd hoped they would! Still needs the front and side doors and the roof lol but I think it's coming along well! IMG-1868.jpg IMG-1866.jpg

Not the best photos since it's pretty late here but the loft is (sloooowly) coming together. Spent as much of today and yesterday working on it as I could before the heat got me lol. And I felt too bad for the white pair being stuck indoors so I put them back with the other pair outside and everyone seems to be sticking with the partner I'd hoped they would! Still needs the front and side doors and the roof lol but I think it's coming along well! View attachment 2253315View attachment 2253316
Wow! That's a unique design.

I totally forgot to post the final loft! They seem pretty happy with it since the check x almond pair immediately claimed a nestbox and the white pair started mating within 10 minutes of being put in there lmao. Do you guys think I will get babies from them soon? I'm putting in nesting bowls today

Attachments

• IMG-2175.jpg
    IMG-2175.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-2157.jpg
    IMG-2157.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-2167.jpg
    IMG-2167.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 7
I totally forgot to post the final loft! They seem pretty happy with it since the check x almond pair immediately claimed a nestbox and the white pair started mating within 10 minutes of being put in there lmao. Do you guys think I will get babies from them soon? I'm putting in nesting bowls today
Very nice! did you build it?

How old are they? If over a year, expect eggs in about ten days!

Back
Top Bottom