12 Years
Jun 12, 2007
Tioga, Louisiana
Okay, so I want to get some meat birds.

What breeds do you recommend?
Where should I order them from?
What do you feed them?
What age do you usually butcher?
What's the best method of culling/cleaning in your opinion?

And any other information you'd like to hand out. I think I have alot of information, but I want to make sure I go into this with both eyes open and as informed as I can get. Thank you guys!

Sorry, missed the other questions.

Quote:
Blue seal broiler crumble, organic oats and corn, sometimes other stuff, leftovers from the kitchen. They like it all!!!

What age do you usually butcher?

Usually is a bad question, since I'm doing my first time. I'm planning to process half at about 3 lbs for "cornish hens"/poussin sized birds and the rest at a larger size.​

Just recieved 105 Cornish X Broilers (straight run) from www.meyerhatchery.com yesterday. They are healthy little stinkers and the customer service rep. answered all of questions. They had them at a great price @ $0.86 each + shipping to your area.

This is my first time so I went ahead and jumped in feet first. I am reading all I can on how to butcher and process a chicken.

I'm ALL for jumping in feet first. I never so much as raised a parakeet, but I had 100 freedom rangers last month and this month got 3 dozen (or so) layers and 3 cornish x. Why NOT?

I am planning on processing and butchering ours at 7 weeks, but I may do a few at 6 weeks for a friend that wants a few smaller birds.

As for culling/butchering check out the first thread in the Meat Birds Ect thread, it has some great information. Or you can check out Purple Chickens way and be done with it. I am gonna try and do ours as quickly as possible and as sanitary as possible.

I guess it comes down to....you process the way that fits you best.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom