Thinking of moving, but WHERE???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Better stay north,...I don't believe they will play nice with natives.
hide.gif

Just got to this page and you sum'd it up fer me nicely.

If the OP wants to be close to a liberal/democratic non religious/enlightened crowd (not hicks which I am proud to be) then I'd stick to the northern states... I'd say the dividing line would be 80/90 turnpike going east and west through ohio. Anything north of that would be good. Anything any distance south of there wouldn't fit your criteria very well unless you are going to live an isolationist's lifestyle. Trust me, I am a misplaced southerner who's living in central michigan and hate it. It doesn't fit my demographics, it doesn't fit my religious views and the values I hold near and dear to my heart aren't the same up here as they are back at home.

we'd love to have you in cecil county maryland!

get as much land as you can afford with a place down here. We're right at the head of the chesapeake bay, largest estuary in the usa. lots of farm land and horses. not too much different than your current clime. Still close to metro areas in fact - even more. With philly and balt and even wash being easy commutes for some ppl. We have lots of amish woodworking nearby too...lol. When you're looking for a place down here keep me in mind, I'll buy the farm land next door...I could move too.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You are joking...right!!?? You obviously know nothing about farming. To survive in this economic world there is not a farmer around who doesn't know about those very things whether they went to school and got a degree for them or started farming straight out of high school! If you truely think the "stewards of the land" are those kids who showed the least initiative and potential you are very much wrong!! That is probably the most insulting statement I have ever read on here.

Just for the record...my husband has a college degree. Our life and livelihood is farming and ranching.

Actually, this is precisely the situation I'm describing with my husband's family in Alabama. I'm not trying to say they're unintelligent or that they all value ignorance...his grandfather does his best to educate himself on stewardship and he's the best one. But he hasn't made this a priority with his numerous grandkids who will inherit the land and they aren't capable of graduating even high school, although they were not born with any defects that would prevent them from doing so. They are earning money ranching and growing peanuts and cotton, and they use dangerous chemicals. They lack an understanding of the balance of ecosystems and they are doing things that will actively destroy those ecosystems. And they won't listen to me or my husband about anything, because "we obviously know nothing about farming" as you put it, despite our interest in the topic and my husband's degree in sciences. The family members he has who achieved academically immediately left. And the ignorant ones who stayed behind are definitely profiting, continuing some of the bad agricultural practices that are ruining the natural environment. These are definitely the kids that showed the least potential in high school, and it's not an isolated incident. This has been written about by authors who are not myself, it's a national trend in rural areas for high school guidance counselors to identify the smart kids and encourage them to get out and achieve something in the urban world, leaving only the kids who aren't as capable to take care of the land. I'm sorry if you think this isn't happening, but it is. If you're different, that's great and I'm really happy to hear it. But you are an exception and I hope you can recognize what's going on.

Quote:
You are joking...right!!?? You obviously know nothing about farming. To survive in this economic world there is not a farmer around who doesn't know about those very things whether they went to school and got a degree for them or started farming straight out of high school! If you truely think the "stewards of the land" are those kids who showed the least initiative and potential you are very much wrong!! That is probably the most insulting statement I have ever read on here.

Just for the record...my husband has a college degree. Our life and livelihood is farming and ranching.

Actually, this is precisely the situation I'm describing with my husband's family in Alabama. I'm not trying to say they're unintelligent or that they all value ignorance...his grandfather does his best to educate himself on stewardship and he's the best one. But he hasn't made this a priority with his numerous grandkids who will inherit the land and they aren't capable of graduating even high school, although they were not born with any defects that would prevent them from doing so. They are earning money ranching and growing peanuts and cotton, and they use dangerous chemicals. They lack an understanding of the balance of ecosystems and they are doing things that will actively destroy those ecosystems. And they won't listen to me or my husband about anything, because "we obviously know nothing about farming" as you put it, despite our interest in the topic and my husband's degree in sciences. The family members he has who achieved academically immediately left. And the ignorant ones who stayed behind are definitely profiting, continuing some of the bad agricultural practices that are ruining the natural environment. These are definitely the kids that showed the least potential in high school, and it's not an isolated incident. This has been written about by authors who are not myself, it's a national trend in rural areas for high school guidance counselors to identify the smart kids and encourage them to get out and achieve something in the urban world, leaving only the kids who aren't as capable to take care of the land. I'm sorry if you think this isn't happening, but it is. If you're different, that's great and I'm really happy to hear it. But you are an exception and I hope you can recognize what's going on.

I find it sad you're judging a whole group of people by one family and their situation.

I sure hope you and the original poster of this thread carry an umbrella for when it's raining....with your noses so high in the air you're more than likely to drown.

And I'm sorry you're taking me presenting factual national trends personally. It's not just one family. And it's not something judgmental that I fabricated in an over-active imagination. It's not something I'm happy about, but it's something that's happening nationwide, and I think we ought to all be aware of it, because we can't fix problems we don't know are happening. The fact that I've stated that I love both urban and rural folks as groups and that I'm working to rid myself of bigotry should have helped to ease some tensions. But in case you missed the posts where I said that stuff, here's me saying it again. I care about the futures of rural people, I care about supporting my local farmers, I respect them greatly because I know that lots of people around here who are educated want to farm and be good stewards. But I know what happens in the vast, once priceless farmland we have in the Midwest and the South. I know how they're covered in petroleum-based fertilizers and pesticides, which are washing into the Gulf of Mexico every year and poisoning the oceans. I know that they aren't using cover crops all winter and that we're losing topsoil. I know what my husband's research has turned up regarding soil and water pollutants in the places these chemicals are being used, and I know they're not just washing away. And I know that lots of rural kids who are smart want to leave their areas once they graduate high school and that lots of them never go back. That doesn't make me happy either.

If it were up to me, schools would be better, all students would be more interested in learning, no one would just abandon their place because they feel isolated, and we'd take a lot better care of our environment. These things aren't happening, and I don't know what to do about them. But please don't feel like I'm being judgmental. These are facts across the board, with some exceptions, but for the most part, this is what's going on and not liking it is no excuse to accuse me of being the most offensive person on an internet forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom