Thinking of raising quail for meat, but...

So, with this group of 70 I have in the brooder coming on, I am thinking about culling some or all of my original 7 hens and 1 rooster. They are at least 5 months old, but probably closer to 8 months, maybe older. At what point does the meat change or become stringy like chicken can? Should I avoid frying those and opt for a slower cooking? Have no real idea about how to handle the older hens.

I breed quail for eggs and meat. Until recently my husband dispatched them for me and I did the dressing. Now I do the lot. It is a set of mind and I came to accept it.
My birds have a good life, nice big pens, and seem happy. I start culling as soon as the boys start fighting as they can be very nasty to each other
I had to cull 8 month old bird once and the meat was on the tough and stringy side, so slow cooking was necessary.
Also the birds need 48 hour rest in the fridge for best taste.
The last is subject to personal taste, some eat them the same day.

Covered bowl is all I do. You can marinade, I usually brine them if they are to be grilled so the meat doesn't dry out. Tablespoon of salt per litre of water. Can add herbs and spices to the brine too.

At what point does the meat change or become stringy like chicken can? Should I avoid frying those and opt for a slower cooking? Have no real idea about how to handle the older hens.
had a few good layers that were close to 2 years old.
only difference I could tell was they had a tiny bit of extra fat on them that I havent seen in younger birds

ditto on making sure the shears are sharp. My wife wouldn't let me use her cutlery sizzors so My first attempt was my hand held pruners which I considered sharp, they weren't sharp enough and although the bird didn't suffer it was a nasty job I don't recommend. After that bird I snuck in, got her sizzors and they worked like a charm. To this day I still sneak them out of the kitchen lol

I use Gerber game shears
about $16 and capable of cutting much heavier stuff

added bonus of no beatings when your wife catches you with her good shears
idunno.gif

Thank you to all who responded to my question about qualms about killing quail. I appreciate your sensitivity and practical advice. Sorry it's taken me MONTHS to respond!
hmm.png

Raise Butler Bobwhites, largest quail, so good meat AND they are mean as hell, will bite humans and take chunks out. So you won't feel as bad about killing them...

I currently live in an apartment, after living on a beautiful piece of property where I raised chickens, ducks, and geese for eggs and meat. I have been really apprehensive about bringing quail into the apartment as I was a little concerned about the noise. I know the males will definitely be noisy, but how about the females? I currently have a lovebird and there's been no issues. Does anyone else raise their quail in an apartment and, if so, do you have an issue with noise from the girls?
Thanks!
Anne

Back
Top Bottom