Thinking of rehoming my favorite roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickadee93, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Prettiest looking bird I could have wanted, he's an EE with white and black pattern and his hackles are so thick it's like a mane!! But lately he's been getting more and more aggressive and today he attacked my feet after "stalking" me for a good 5 mins. Really disappointed, he used to be pretty friendly...Will it only get worse? Should I give him away?

He's a very dominant bird compared to the other two roosters, always puffed out and strutting around the lawn lol

2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

You can train him to be less aggressive:
    Ideas:
    -Spray with a hose every time he attacks you.
    -Pick him up and strut around with him in front of his girls to embarrass him.

I'm sure more people can help my rooster is plenty nice so I've had no problems with him, also if you like him so much you would try to keep him as much as possible.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Good advice, though I think a loaded water pistol may be more practical [​IMG] What you can also do when he gets aggressive is to place your hand firmly on his back and hold him down for a while. Remember YOU are the boss and he needs to respect you.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I know what I would do ? I'd get rid of it. They only get meaner. I've had no luck with taming an aggresive roo.If you have the time try it . I don't like to not be able to turn my back on a roo & worry about whether he's gonna attack me. I've been there & done that. JMO.
    Rooster's have a mind of their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by