Thinking of selling most of my ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Dec 3, 2010.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I am trying to simplify my life. Right now, I want more time for my writing and learning photography. I think, maybe, 20+ ducks is more than enough right now.

Here is what I'm thinking:

* Keep three black magpie hens from Holderread and one blue magpie drake also from Holderread. These are my best producers by far at the moment, and beautiful to boot.
    * Sell my five tuxedo blue Runner hens and their tuxedo blue drake, as a breeding flock. They are hatchery quality and producing decently considering it's winter. They were a color project that I think I am ready to say goodbye to.
    * Sell the remainder of my flock as a group or separately, consisting of 11 hens in various colors (black, fawn/white, blue, silver--yes, two silvers!) and two blue drakes. One hen and both drakes are Holderread blues. The drakes are GORGEOUS, upright, very nice color, very nice boys--not sure I'm ready to let them go--and the hen is producing very nicely, also gorgeous. The remainder are good hatchery quality producing mediocrely. All are either this year or last year's hatch.
    * Purchase ten more Holderread magpies for Spring (using the proceeds from the other sales), and keep only the blue and black hens from that group, leaving me ultimately with a flock of about seven or eight blue & black magpies from Holderread.

Then I have to decide what to do with my geese. One is bonded with my main flock, and I'd hate to separate him. He's very protective and extremely attached to them. I might have to insist that he go with part of the flock and never be separated from them.

Or maybe I'll keep him and part of my flock as company, and just let them be pets.

Aaaaa. Decisions!

The other benefit of thinning is that I would be able to use the freed-up pens for raising youngsters next Spring, which would relieve some of the pressure I felt last year around trying to get them sold quickly--it wouldn't be as big a deal if I had the space for them as they were growing up.

Decisions!!

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    [​IMG]

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Well you know there is always a home here for a few Blues and Silvers. Thats when you make your final dicisions that is [​IMG] Just Holler my way if you would. x

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Nicky--do you still want those two fawn/whites? I gave one of my three to a farmer in Monroe today in exchange for the loan of his ducklings (and the photography session is ... coming along ... lol), so there are two left. One is a year & a half old, the other is this past summer's hatch. I have no idea how well they're laying because they are in with my largest group.

I am also willing to sell some tuxedoes--either two hens, or the whole group (four hens, one drake). I'm thinking of asking $10 each for hens & $5 for the drake or free with the purchase of the rest of the group. I'm also willing to negotiate--it's winter and they're not producing much at the moment--this weather caught them off guard, I think. However, I have been getting at least one egg out of the group daily even though they matured this Fall, so I think they'll do great next summer.

Just let me know!

5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I get what you mean about needing to simplify!

I'm downsizing right now too - I'm keeping my Dutch Hookbills, Runners, and Calls (and a few Cochin chickens). EVERYTHING else is being sold. It's just too much!

So, I think you've got a great plan. [​IMG]

6. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    I really wish I lived closer to you! [​IMG]

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would rather have blues. I would love 2 of your female Tuxedoes and your silvers if possible, and yes I would pay $10 a bird. Just get back to me as to what you want to sell to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by