Thinking of trying an experiment.

With all the talk of what cockerel to keep I got curious what breeds the pullets were, other then the pretty SP. Glanced back to see what breeds you got. I may have missed it. Pullets being half the equation will have an influence on the size of the offspring. I know it did with my crosses.

Besides the SPPR I have Black Australorps, Dark Cornish, Buff Rocks, White Giants (I think - but they have yellow legs, so I'm not positive), Light Brahmas, Barred Rocks for sure. I don't remember offhand if there is anything else. Other than the SP, I have at least two of the named breeds, so I can put one of each with the cockerels.

Last edited:
" I'll be interested in knowing how your Buckeyes turn out for you. I wish you were on the other side of South Dakota - I'm right on the MN/SD border - I'd love to get some from you if they worked out well."
I hope mine are good ones, I have never even heard of head drop.

I didn't realize how close you were, and we are definitely counting chicks before they hatched
fl.gif
, but I would easily share some with you, however, you might contact minniechickmama. She is on here, she is in Mn, and I found her easy to work with. I am a week and two days from hatching.

While I agree with Den in The Pen, that the rooster is only half of the plan, I think a heavier roosters can really influence a flock, or at least mine did.

Mrs K

Last edited:
" I'll be interested in knowing how your Buckeyes turn out for you. I wish you were on the other side of South Dakota - I'm right on the MN/SD border - I'd love to get some from you if they worked out well."
I hope mine are good ones, I have never even heard of head drop.

I didn't realize how close you were, and we are definitely counting chicks before they hatched
fl.gif
, but I would easily share some with you, however, you might contact minniechickmama. She is on here, she is in Mn, and I found her easy to work with. I am a week and two days from hatching.

While I agree with Den in The Pen, that the rooster is only half of the plan, I think a heavier roosters can really influence a flock, or at least mine did.

Mrs K
Not sure if "head drop" is a technical term, but if I remember right, it seemed the breeder said their necks were weak, and heads drooping. Something like that. On a positive note, they were beautiful birds...

Speaking of hatching, wasn't today when your misguided hen was supposed to start? The one who couldn't remember where her nest was?

Last edited:
Yes that goofy girl, and no, none of them made it, and she is still just setting there. I don't know if I should break her, or just wait. Butter's bunch is due to hatch July 23...

I don't know what to do with her.

Mrs K

Yes that goofy girl, and no, none of them made it, and she is still just setting there. I don't know if I should break her, or just wait. Butter's bunch is due to hatch July 23...

I don't know what to do with her.

Mrs K
Oh, that's too bad!
sad.png
Maybe if you let her be, she'll eventually give up. Or, she can help Butter raise her babies. I take it Butter is on your Buckeye eggs?

Noticed tonight that I also have a little red pullet that came with the assortment. I have no idea what kind of red hen - I don't know the difference between NH, RIR, production reds and all the other red chickens out there. She's a pretty thing, though.

My Pioneer x EE girls look like little red hens! The first generation had a few buffs that resembled their mother. But, successive generations are more red. They have black in tails and wings, nice tight little combs, and lay the most beautiful assortment of eggs. They are B!+chy on the nest. Hoping some of that will translate into broodiness. No such luck so far.

Here is a glimpse of what I'm starting out with.

^ Youngsters mostly on left, older red and grey on right. Grey is my broody.

Except for broody on stump, all youngsters here.

Buff cockerel I'm planning to keep.

Meat bird. Just threw in a picture because I think he's pretty. He's ready to go - just need some time to do it.

Nice that you have mostly two of each breed. With so many breeds might be a problem to keep track of which hen contributed to the next generation. I guess that will be part of the fun. Bought some hatchery Rhode Islands a couple of years back. Save for one dark red pullet, I thought they all could have passed for New Hampshire's.

Back
Top Bottom