Thinking off adding but...

ha Ha, yes the average temp around now ranges from 9-11 in the night then climbing during the day to about 13-15, rain tomorrow and more during mid week.
The chickens still scratch about in light rain but when it gets heavy they take shelter, I bought them from a farm about 10 miles from my house so they are used to the climate.

Funny when I first got them they left it till the last minute to go in the coop, just lately they have been going in a bit earlier, not sure if it is because they can roost in this one or because it is getting colder.

Col.

I would think if you get them from the same flock there is a chance the introduction process might be easy,

If you’ve only had these for a few weeks , I’d go get another 3 or 4 and add them .

Having them free range gives them room to adjust ,

Good luck

In my experience no matter how you choose to integrate new birds there are always some that do better than others inserting themselves into the existing flock.

The last batch we added consisted of 1 year old BCM, 1 20ish week old Brahma and 2 15ish week old BCM.

The two youngest BCM stick together like glue and avoid everyone else almost entirely. They are kind of a flock of two within the flock of 15. No one bothers them at all.

The Brahma was very self assured and fit in right away. Not one of our existing girls messed with her. Of course this could be because she towered over them ;). But honestly I think it had more to do with her laid back attitude. Not once did she run from any of my existing girls or did she put up with being bullied.

The 1 year old BCM however is still struggling to fit in. She is afraid of everything and everyone. My existing girls have finally stopped chasing her relentlessly but she will still get picked on even by the smallest of my existing flock because she allows it and doesn’t stand up for herself.

Have fun getting your new birds :)

Hi, I have the small coop up for sale but also it is too big to go in the shed.
I did think of using the small coop but again it would be my luck someone would buy it while I'm using it as an introduction lol.

Col.
Take it down from sale and use it until the new birds are in the big coop, which could take weeks. You might actually want to keep this small coop in case you need to isolate a bird that's broody or injured or ill. Does small coop have a run area attached?

You'll want to keep new birds confined for a week or so until they are 'homed' to the new place. The existing birds can range around the small coop/run with new birds so they can all see each other before having physical contact.

How old are all these 'young birds'?

Well I'm afraid it might be a bit too late for that. I got 2 new hens this morning from the same flock as the 3 I already have.
The farmer I bought them from said they would be alright to just introduce, he said when you get home put them in the coop and let them come out themselves.
So I did, the original 3 were OK at first but a bit of eyeing each other up and the odd peck took place.
One of the originals made a lurch at one of the new girls, but I got a shock, the Light Sussex what I already had which I thought was on the lower rung of the ladder so to speak suddenly cowered over the my Black Rock which made the lurch and the BR lowered her head in submission only to get a peck from the Sussex.

I had to dash out but on my return they were all pecking away in the garden, I noticed as one of the new girls went near any of the originals they got a 'Don't come near me' kind of lurch.

I just saw the Light Sussex chase one of the new girls out of the coop, I'll monitor the situation later this evening as it starts to get dark, I may have to take other measures.

Col.

p.s. I just remembered, the Light Sussex that hasn't laid since I got her, laid an egg earlier, the problem was the shell was like paper and broke open, the remains of the egg were still in the straw which I removed.

Thanks MrsK, I'm watching them now, they are all in the garden pecking away, they are not running around chasing each other.

I got a Cuckoo Maran, I already have one of those so this makes two.
The other is a Blue Orpington (I think).

I had a thought, don't know if this makes sense but when I first bought the original 3, I just picked them as random from the flock, they were all different types.
We put them together in a box and I drove home, not a sound from them, probably first time in a car lol.

So same thing with the second 2 I bought, put in box together drove home. now the first 3 got on no problem from the start, the second 2 get on no problem from the start.

So do you think the traveling together bonded them in some way, I mean I never heard a squeak from them the whole journey, it made me think of sticking them all together in a big box and take them for a drive.

Col.

You got lucky, but it can go pretty smoothly.
Watch closely around the feeder and waterer...might need to set up more.
Roost time will be interesting.
What does the inside of your coop look like, pics please??
Separate roosts would be a good idea.

So do you think the traveling together bonded them in some way, I mean I never heard a squeak from them the whole journey, it made me think of sticking them all together in a big box and take them for a drive.
:lol::gig

Birds get quiet when they are feeling 'unsafe'....like stuck in a box and moving in a car.
Not sure it actually 'bonds' them.

Back
Top Bottom