Thinking SPRING!!! what's on your wish list?

6littlechickies

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Burton, OH
Only a few more weeks left of the cold and snow up north here but we are thinking SPRING!!! With it soo miserable outside, we've been hunkering down determining final breeding pens, finalizing spring sales and putting together our 'wish list' for the spring auction in Mt Hope. Hoping to add a few more girls to a couple pens and maybe a new color too!
smile.png

What's on your wish list this year?

I'm with you. Ready for spring. We just had 18" of snow last week and now sub zero temps. Hope this is the last of the cold spells.

Birds seem to be doing well. I keep them in a draft free area and it is about 15 degrees warmer in the morning in the sheds.

I look to finish a few pens if the snow melts. I have the frames up but need to get the wire and netting on. Kinda put the cart before the horse. Need room for a few different colors. Would also like to get a Bronze split to BS and that is about it for this year except maybe a hatcher and brooder.

How is the spring show in Mt. Hope? Maybe I can go this year since I have retired now.

Jack

On my wish list is just some peachicks...I don't care from who...From my birds (I would sort of prefer that) or from someone else (that would be nice too especially if they were pied chicks). I haven't raised chicks before but I really really want to because I have a long list of what I would want to do with them in my mind...

I'm not so sure I will be allowed to get any more new varieties of birds this year unless I can't hatch my peahen's eggs and they can't hatch them ither then I would love to try and expand on the varieties I already have and maybe get some new kinds but I think I might do that in the form of getting chicks...That is ONLY if I can't hatch out our own chicks because mainly my mom said we need to hatch our own, but if I want to get a new bird then I could always want something she couldn't say no to, and that would be a white peafowl, she loves them but we don't have any whites since we are still new to peafowl and slow to get new kinds.
sad.png

Mainly I really want my pied pair to have pied chicks! I know that sometimes you don't get any pied chicks from one clutch, and I hope I can at least get one pied chick, and I know my mom probably hopes we get whites from them too, which would be nice. I also would like a nice blackshoulder male from my blackshoulder peahen since she is my only blackshoulder and the males are so pretty with those black and bluish wings! Then I also just want some good chicks I will use for free-ranging when they get big enough, I really want to start free-ranging again I miss doing that a bunch and would love to have a gang of peafowl ranging around like some of the places we go to to get our peafowl.
Mainly I would be happy with even one peachick, as long as it survives and is friendly.
smile.png

I can't wait for everything to get green again, I am tired of watching the peafowl hopelessly peck at the ugly dead grass.

My wish list for this summer.... My 3 year Black Shoulder Split To Midnight Pair to lay a million eggs. I'm also breeding My 5 year old white peacock to a 5 year old silver pied peahen, My midnight black shoulder white eye peacock to a bs peahen and a india blue peahen. I'm still stuck with only one java peacock that is 2 years of age, i seriously doubt he would be fertile anyway with his 1 eye feather. I can hardly wait to get my 4 Opal and 4 Cameo Peafowl from Erdmans Game Farm this summer. Bronze and Peach are on my wish list this summer also. I really wish all this cold weather would go far far away.
smile.png

White Spaulding is on our list for this year. I might be making a midnight run down to Andy's and stealing his White Spaulding.
smile.png
We are good on India Blues - 2 cocks and 4 hens. 1 cock and 2 hens on the 7/8 Spaulding so probably another cock and 2 hens there would be nice. On the whites we have 2 cocks and 1 hen, those will probably be phased out for White Spaulding.

Steve

glad to hear we're not the only ones thinking about upcoming breeding!
thumbsup.gif

barney47- the Mt Hope spring auction is HUGE! well, that's what we've been told at least, never been able to make it down for that one (but have hit all the others). I know the size of the others and if this is as big as we've been told it should be amazing. Always LOTS of fun and plenty of birds to pick from and bid on. I hear ya on the pens too, we are mid-build on some too, weather just took a tank on us and we had to go on hold for bit. Hopefully it will warm up a little more soon and the remaining work can be done. The hardest part is done, cementing all the main beams in, now on to cross beams, doors and fencing. I've been photographing the process and will post some pics when complete. What are you building as far as pens?

Hey, maybe if a bunch of us are going to go we can plan a meet up? The auction starts mid-day on Thursday and runs through Saturday. I just started a thread on it here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5664080#p5664080

minx- i second on the peachicks! I don't like to count my peas before they hatch but we are hoping to hatch out lots and lots this year!
smile.png
happy hatching vibes to us BOTH! good luck on getting your pied, hopefully the genetic odds will stack in your favor and you will get both a pied for you and a white for mom!

zaz--i'll trade ya weather for a couple weeks! We are currently sitting about 13 degrees! BRRRR! (where is the 'freezing my tail feathers off' smilie? lol) at this point I'd be really happy to just get above freezing, been so long since we've seen those temps i think i may put shorts on when we do!
gig.gif
sorry, that's a cleveland joke-- folks here will break out the shorts and tank tops when it's above freezing, no kidding!
wink.png

Andy - um, well i wish you luck on the million eggs--now if that did happen how ever would you incubate them all!
hu.gif
haha! ooh, opal and cameo, when are you getting those? we'll have peach and bronze hatching eggs this spring if you'd like to incubate some.

steve- white spaulding...look out Andy, steve's a comin' and my DH may not be too far behind!!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
DH loves the white spauldings too, i need to keep you two from meeting LOL. good luck on your search!

I know on DH's wish list this year is a peach pair. We have a few pens with peach already but the males are split, DH wants a pure peach male--and still keep all the spits! haha Also looking to add a few more hens to some pens, prob just IB and Pied girls. If I happen upon an Opal boy I might not be able to resist but my two opal hens won't be breeding until next year anyway so it would just be my eye candy this summer, he's on my list for fall right now. I actually don't have anything specific on MY list, well I do have my eye on a livestock guard dog, but that's a whole different thread! anyone out there near Arkansas willing to transport a pup up this way? just throwing it out there.
idunno.gif

I'm with you. Ready for spring. We just had 18" of snow last week and now sub zero temps. Hope this is the last of the cold spells.

Birds seem to be doing well. I keep them in a draft free area and it is about 15 degrees warmer in the morning in the sheds.

I look to finish a few pens if the snow melts. I have the frames up but need to get the wire and netting on. Kinda put the cart before the horse. Need room for a few different colors. Would also like to get a Bronze split to BS and that is about it for this year except maybe a hatcher and brooder.

How is the spring show in Mt. Hope? Maybe I can go this year since I have retired now.

Jack

It was nice enough here today for me to get out and rake the pea pen. My silkies are laying fairly regularly and I was thinking I would put some in the bator, but the more I thought about it the more I realized how burned out on chicks I can be by July. So..I will wait until my peas and red golden pheasants start laying. The most exciting peachick this year should be my first purple male from a peahen that I hatched two years ago. I am not plannig on adding any varieties and may get rid of some of my adults to make room for the purples. I live at the foothills of the north georgia mountains and it has been about as cold here as it has anywhere and am as ready for spring as anyone!

Huge Auction !!!!!!! Hundreds of peafowl , wild waterfowl, pheasants ,and quails alone will take all day Thursday until 9 pm. Even then they will have to complete these Friday Morn.

Bad thing friday they will have 4 ring going at the same time......so i need a clone when I go.

Well worth going, all birds will be NPIP TESTED

Back
Top Bottom