Thinned the flock, remaining chickens are hanging out in the coop

But the coop poop (see what I just did, har, har!) isn't the only poop a lot of us deal with, aart. Several times a day I also scoop the poop (I did it again) in the runs. With my present flock of seventeen, I probably scrape and scoop around a gallon a day. I just ordered six new chicks for a May hatch, and I need to write myself a note on the August calendar page, "expect poop to increase by a quart more a day."

That's definitely a consequence of chicken math. But I have to also hand it to our OP leddy - it's a real accomplishment to make chicken math work in reverse.

Last edited:
The half thing makes sense...but ...I just sifted off my poop boards, took 10 minutes for 15 birds.
So ...if there were just say 7 it would take 5 minutes.
Yes, 7 isn't much more than having 4 in the grand scheme of things.. however, when we inherited these chickens we found that we were grossly over the limit for our county's rules about lot sizes and the number of poultry allowed. Thinning the flock assisted in staying within those guidelines. Also, since we inherited the coop as well and were not the ones to originally make the setup, we are finding that there are some features to it that aren't friendly for A) a state that rains alot {had an uncovered run that was dirt in the summer... poopy mud in the winter}; B) the number of chickens we had {no poop boards - we need to install those come spring}; and C) the caretakers {the WAY the previous owner put stuff in is very unconventional and hard to get to - we will be updating many things come spring}. So, seeing as I'm in the middle of a big city, having that many chickens just wasn't the right fit for us. I'm happy to hear your setup is easy for you to take care of your flock! I'm excited to make our setup more our own when the weather turns nicer here soon!
thumbsup.gif
Happy chickening!

Back
Top Bottom