~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

say what!!?? i thought the post office was suppose to deliver the eggs to the front door....i hope that doesn't happen to me or else my mom's birthday chicken surprise is ruined cause i don't have a car and it's a two hour walk to the post office
hide.gif
Unless the seller writes hold for pick up and a phone number to call, they will be delivered to your house.

I have to brag on my local PO. They are wonderful. Really, it's just two ladies that do it all in the small rural PO. One, the postmistress, knows just about everyone by first name and is super efficient and helpful. The other does delivery. Come to think of it, there may be more than one person/route out of our PO, but I wouldn't know the other(s.) When I have eggs coming, I have the seller write my phone # on the box and "Please call for customer pick-up." I then call the PO and give them a heads up that the eggs are coming. When the box comes in, the postmistress will call me, but always offers to have the route lady bring it to the door, even if she has already started her route. They are just great!

Edited for subject/verb agreement

Last edited:
My class is setting today! And my polish eggs should be arriving from Raven. I'm crossing my fingers that they will have survived the trip from TN to NV! They'll go in tomorrow!! Have a great day folks. :)

Well in just full of AMAZING news this morning! All 4 Ancona's have embryos. Both of the normal eggs have externally pipped. We went ahead a opened Opps's shell but don't see a bill so we put it back for now. And the 24 more Ancona's I ordered came in with 2 extras but one was busted. They will go in tomorrow and then I will pick up an unknown amount of an unknown kinds of eggs at the post office.

Just because it's broody when you get it does not guarantee it will remain broody once it is moved to a new location. If it is broody & is in a nest that can be moved, move the entire nest with her for best results, then cover the nest & don't bother her for at least 24 hours. If she stays on the nest except to eat/drink/poop then you have a broody regardless of any other actions or lack thereof.
Thanks so much for your reply. I picked her up yesterday. Followed your advice.

I have never had Bantams and am used to my big birds so she seems so small and light when I put her in the crate It was an unreal scene when I picked her up. Everything was clean and there was plenty of food and water but my girl was sitting in the middle what is clearly a communal nest with <24 eggs. Some were under her but most were scattered around her. I will get a final count later but I doubt that any are viable. No way she could cover them all but I am going to candle. There were only 3 other hens in with her so the eggs must all be at different stages if they have any development at all

I have her in a dog crate. I covered it for the ride home and put her straight into quarantine with vitamin and elecrtolye water and fermented feed. This morning she was still sitting on however many of the eggs she could. Going home on my lunch to check her and let her out of the crate into the quarantine area to poo. I also hope to tempt her with some melon and molasses.

I am worried because now I know that she has been broody for 5+ weeks without anyone monitoring her so I am on the hunt for some bantam chicks to give her. I don't want her to get too depleted. I will be hatching my own for the Easter hatch and will give her some of those eggs or a few bantams if I can find them in time.

So, unless one of my other girls come through in the next 4 days I won't be joining you in hatching
sad.png
On the bright side I have a silkie and she is a proven broody. So that means next time I will be able to give her special eggs.

Last edited:
Well in just full of AMAZING news this morning! All 4 Ancona's have embryos. Both of the normal eggs have externally pipped. We went ahead a opened Opps's shell but don't see a bill so we put it back for now. And the 24 more Ancona's I ordered came in with 2 extras but one was busted. They will go in tomorrow and then I will pick up an unknown amount of an unknown kinds of eggs at the post office.
YEay!!!!! external pips and embyos---- and more eggs arriving ! Yup you are hooked on hatching.

Here they are! I set 3 duck and 11 chicken eggs this afternoon. I know I'm early for chicken and late for duck
sad.png
but we are going! Lol.
Perfect timing! I like the chicks to hatch a few days ahead of the poults to get the lay of the land and be ready for the poults.

say what!!?? i thought the post office was suppose to deliver the eggs to the front door....i hope that doesn't happen to me or else my mom's birthday chicken surprise is ruined cause i don't have a car and it's a two hour walk to the post office
hide.gif
My mail carrier won't even attempt my driveway. We have to meet her at the box when we have packages going out or coming in. They call me with a time-frame & we walk the 1/4 mile to the box to wait regardless of the weather.
roll.png

Quote: Check her eggs & give her the 4-5 that look the furthest along in development if any are developing. Otherwise, snag her a couple chicks from TSC or a local BYCer.

Quote: X 2 on tutors hatching a couple days ahead of poults

Hey everyone! I know I am WAYYYY early for chicken eggs.....LOL but I guess im counting this as my hatch for this hatch athon....I set 3 polish under my broody on the 8th.....its WAYYY EARLY but it will do for me since I cant hatch may anyway! hahahah
**promised myself not to open up the incubator until the first day of summer**
roll.png

@ChooksChick
I would like to join.....is it okay if im 6 days off on the chicken set date? or can I not participate in the HAT if im that spread out?

my broody was a ticking time bomb....she was broody for 10 days before I set under her so I had to put eggs under her ASAP

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom