~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop

During the Inaugural Turkey Hatchathon, we were a small but mighty group of newbies and old-timers.

Last year during the 2nd Annual, we were a spry mix with dry humor, fabulous numbers, and obnoxious straight-jackets.

This year many of us have our own turkeys starting to lay, and we're seeing our first eggs depending on our region.

It's still early, but in order to have plenty of time to arrange for eggs, get brooders in order and start sewing,

It's time for the Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Hatchathon!

For those considering growing turkeys for Thanksgiving, set day is the perfect time to set to have a grown tender bird for the occasion.

Even if you aren't considering turkeys, you'll be quite welcome to join us in this event to chat along as we count down. Newbies are always welcome and there are very knowledgeable folks on here who can help you learn about incubating. Please look at the help links we post along the way, as they can offer a bunch of answers!

I call this Hatch-Along a Hatchathon because it's a whole WEEK longer to hatch turkeys (and geese, ducks and peas) so the WAITING is greatly increased...anxiety and anticipation grow exponentially at the end!!!

Whatever you care to hatch, join us as we start planning for the event.

Search for some eggs to set, coax a hen to brood, borrow or buy an incubator.

We'll set Turkey, Goose, Duck, and Pea eggs on April 7th at noon, your time zone.

Chicken eggs will be set April 14th at noon, your time zone.

Fowl

Days of Incubation

Set Date

Stop Turning At Day

Hatch Date

Turkey

7-Apr

Day 25

5-May
Chicken

14-Apr

Day 18

5-May
Duck

7-Apr

Day 25

5-May
Duck (Muscovy)

30-Mar

Day 31

5-May
Goose

3-Apr

Day 25

5-May
Guinea Fowl

7-Apr

Day 25

5-May
Peafowl

6-Apr

Day 25

5-May
Pheasant

10-Apr

Day 21

5-May
Quail

12-Apr

Day 20

5-May
Coturnix Quail

18-Apr

Day 15

5-May
Chukar

12-Apr

Day 20

5-May

Please just post here in the thread if you intend to participate, and we'll work on contests and fun. If you want to sponsor a contest, let me know.

If you'd like to help corral the participants, post a daily summary, or shadow-box squirrels in zip-locks, please message me.

Contests:

Participants so far:
ChooksChick
CayuseRanch
  • Jessshan8
  • silly4buttons
  • Loghousemom
  • yinepu
  • Manningjw​

Helpful links:

Helpful Hints for All

yinepu's Turkey Incubation Tell-All
This is the guide all Hatchathon participants should read!

Incubation Cheat Sheet
This is a basic primer on dry incubation and benefits thereof

Where's Sally Sunshine's hint sheet?

Last edited:
Count me in!!!! I'll be hatching Narrangansett poults - as long as my girls cooperate that is.
wee.gif

Someone please help me decide. I want to hatch turkeys this year, but can't decide on the breed. We would want a good table bird, but also one that is easy to manage. We have 80 acres to raise them on, & would like them to free range, but don't want them wandering the neighborhood. Are there any breeds that stay close to home & are friendly, easy-going birds? I've done a little research & have narrowed it down to a couple breeds: Bourbon Reds & Narragasettes. I found a local hatchery for BR eggs (about an hour away), but don't mind buying shipped eggs if I find the right breed for me. Any advantages of one breed over another? Please advise if there's a better breed than the 2 I've listed.

I've never had Bourbon Reds but I absolutely adore my Narrs. I had Royal Palms before (beautiful) and White Midgets (which weren't so "midgety") and like all of them! I chose Narrs because of their feathering, heritage breed and they are very friendly. One of my girls comes up on the deck and taps on the window every day until she gets her treat.
big_smile.png

Wohooo! I get to participate also. I have turkey eggs coming from Chooks Chick! Thank you again! I'm going to see how much room I have in the bator and throw in some duck eggs. Then when I candle at day 6 or 7 I can fill in the "gaps" with some Polish eggs. Wahoooo!

Insert HAPPY DANCE here!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom