~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

Wohooo! I get to participate also. I have turkey eggs coming from Chooks Chick! Thank you again! I'm going to see how much room I have in the bator and throw in some duck eggs. Then when I candle at day 6 or 7 I can fill in the "gaps" with some Polish eggs. Wahoooo!

Insert HAPPY DANCE here!
wee.gif

Do any of you have Blackhead in your area? I know I do and want to keep this turkey alive if at all possible. I have had turkeys in the past, and they all died at about three to five months of age. I know I have to keep it on hardware cloth for a year, give it it's own pen away from the chickens, and worm regularly, but what other precautions should I take?

Hello my name is Sue. Hope it is not to late to join the turkey hatch. I managed to wrangle up some turkey eggs. ( royal palm turkeys) not my first choice but they will do. My others (Sweetgrass)

will come a little later if it's meant to be. These are from young bird so I hope they are fertile....A friend of mine gave them to me. happy dance I get to join in
Hatched these cutes for my friend, her cochins , millie fluer, bantam there so cute. and they go home tomorrow.
I also have young Royals, three eggs LOL I too pray they are fertile!

I should have duck eggs here on Monday... and peafowl eggs will be in the bator a day late (they are in transit and won't be here until Monday as well)...
Hopefully they all arrive fertile and in one piece (not broken or scrambled).. lol
what color peafowl?
fl.gif

Quote:
for the hatch a long.. ancona

I also have more in the incubators... black east indies, muscovy, french white muscovy, rouen, silkie, calls, cayuga, khaki campbells, golden 300s, mixed breed, blue swedish, giant pekins, geese, (I know I am forgetting someone) ... with mandarin and more muscovy eggs due to arrive sometime next week...along with the first batch of peafowl eggs

lol.. and that's not counting the chicken eggs....

but at least the turkey eggs from the bator hatched (I need to take more pics and update the other thread)... but I have a turkey hen setting a nest (different hen from the dummy egg nest).. and found a muscovy hen setting a nest today too.. but I'm not counting on them to hatch since the predators like to raid the nests and eat the eggs even if the mommas are sitting on them..
how awesome!! Ancona are so pretty, I had to sell mine after Master Drake decided to attack my big dumb brahma roo and rip him from above wattle down below into his neck, what a mess. All over hens!

I have silky ducks in the bator, I need some tips for them, thats why I asked you if you did a call duck article ;) I am told weight loss is an issue, for now I am running dry but its still 25%, it was suggested I sand the eggs? thoughts? I didnt sand I think they are in 4 days now.

Quote:
make a few coolerbators... easy to make.. you can keep spare parts on hand.. super easy to clean..... and you COULD use them as hatchers (but lets face it.. they are more than likely to end up incubating too.. lol)
agree!

I don't consider myself lucky, but sometimes the stars line up and shine upon me. Today, I was really busy at work, but I slipped away to come home and check the hatchers, I had adjusted the temp before leaving for work and wanted to make sure it was okay. The feed store is on my way home and I needed chick starter, so I stopped in.

I have become an expert at resisting the sirens call of chicks and can even look at them without being tempted, so when I heard the peeping as I walked through the door, I was not concerned. I walked over to the brooders and peeked inside. There was this one that stood out. I kept looking at it and it moved differently and sounded different. Then I saw a snood!

I got a poult for $1.00!

it_9f7a02_948059.jpg

seriously, Thats awesome! our feed mill charges 12. each!

Quote:
yippiechickie.gif
True story!! Thats awesome Ray!

I bought two more 150 quart coolers
hide.gif
yes I officially have a problem, but at least I have orders for 7/8th of my hatches! lol now if I would just stop buying eggs I dont need!
Like ducks!!! and Turkey! I keep it up I will be running to buy some adorable sweet white bunnies and another puppy!!!! I blame it on DH, I shouldnt have gotten my tubes tied! My mother says I have "baby things" issue
hu.gif
I love any kinda babies whats wrong with that! Good thing I dont have room for goats!

LL

Sally, baby pygmy goats don't need much room.....just sayin'..........
LOL your bad! I have wanted a pair FOREVER and then I met a full size spoiled nubian wether, and fell in love with the big doting dummy! I just saw on FB group some local mini fainting goats, OMG I was sooooo tempted!! but those I would have to get a unrelated pair because I would need more babies!! they had two boys sold banded :(

Quote:
yippiechickie.gif
True story!! Thats awesome Ray!

I bought two more 150 quart coolers
hide.gif
yes I officially have a problem, but at least I have orders for 7/8th of my hatches! lol now if I would just stop buying eggs I dont need!
Like ducks!!! and Turkey! I keep it up I will be running to buy some adorable sweet white bunnies and another puppy!!!! I blame it on DH, I shouldnt have gotten my tubes tied! My mother says I have "baby things" issue
hu.gif
I love any kinda babies whats wrong with that! Good thing I dont have room for goats!

LL

For the small ducks .. like the calls and silkies.. I'm going DRY.. just monitoring air cells and then adjusting the humidity as needed.
If your air cells are staying too big for too long even with going dry then start misting them once a day with WARM water to help with evaporative cooling
lol.. if I start doing anything else differently then I'll send you a PM.. but for now I'm handling them like I do my other exotics..

this batch of peafowl are "assorted" meaning I have no idea what I'll be getting!

and we have 6 of the coolerbators.. gotta make more or your bigger one.. haven't decided yet!

Sally, baby pygmy goats don't need much room.....just sayin'..........

yup (no I am not enabling)
Quote:
still not enabling....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom