Third attempt at incubating.

Pics

Orpingtons Mom

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Fredericksb'g/Culpeper VA
Well, I invested in a new incubator ...a Nurture Right 360...bought some lavender English Orpington eggs, on eBay, and am now testing the incubator to confirm temp and humidity accuracy (eggs arrive next week.)

I have also put a space heater in the room to keep the temp at 65... the rest of the house is too cold.

Initial result of test: my independent thermometer was .2 degrees warmer, which is not significant. The humidity, shown on the incubator is 4%. The independent hygrometer said 14%.

hmmmm.

Having said THAT, I did not put any water in the cups. So the 4% seems more likely.

Thoughts?

Temperature: The eggs need to be kept at 99.5 degrees at all times; just one degree higher or lower for a few hours can terminate the embryo. Humidity: 40 to 50 percent humidity must be maintained for the first 18 days; 65 to 75 percent humidity is needed for the final days before hatching.

VA-Are you sure your reading the hygrometer right?

Good luck with your third attempt.

Well, I invested in a new incubator ...a Nurture Right 360...bought some lavender English Orpington eggs, on eBay, and am now testing the incubator to confirm temp and humidity accuracy (eggs arrive next week.)

I have also put a space heater in the room to keep the temp at 65... the rest of the house is too cold.

Initial result of test: my independent thermometer was .2 degrees warmer, which is not significant. The humidity, shown on the incubator is 4%. The independent hygrometer said 14%.

hmmmm.

Having said THAT, I did not put any water in the cups. So the 4% seems more likely.

Thoughts?
Either one or both hygrometers are struggling to read correctly since your humidity is so low (try filling some water and see what they say), or one or both need calibrating (there's articles on this forum on how to do that)

Ok. Here we go...

Per aart's suggestion (I think it was aart) I have had this sucker running for a week; maybe not a week, but close enough. Inside I have had a digital temp/hygrometer as well.

Results:

What makes a difference is the room temperature/humidity. My house is set at 55, which is too cold to keep the incubator at a solid 99.5 (recommended outside temp is 70.) I have therefore set aside a small bedroom and have a space heater set at 65, and a humidifier set at 56%. (Not just for the incubator, but also for my indoor gardenia hedge (I'm working on growing it.)) Well A also has to be filled up completely. ALSO, important, to keep the humidity consistent, you have to add WARM water.

My brand new incubator is now operating correctly at 99.5 and 51%. Which is especially important as my eggs arrive tomorrow.

So plan is: eggs sit for 24 hours to try to recover from the trip from Florida to VA.
Second, put them in the incubator, small end towards the center and fat end to the outside. Automatic turner is on.

MOST IMPORTANT: no candling before day 13.

Ok. Here we go...

Per aart's suggestion (I think it was aart) I have had this sucker running for a week; maybe not a week, but close enough. Inside I have had a digital temp/hygrometer as well.

Results:

What makes a difference is the room temperature/humidity. My house is set at 55, which is too cold to keep the incubator at a solid 99.5 (recommended outside temp is 70.) I have therefore set aside a small bedroom and have a space heater set at 65, and a humidifier set at 56%. (Not just for the incubator, but also for my indoor gardenia hedge (I'm working on growing it.)) Well A also has to be filled up completely. ALSO, important, to keep the humidity consistent, you have to add WARM water.

My brand new incubator is now operating correctly at 99.5 and 51%. Which is especially important as my eggs arrive tomorrow.

So plan is: eggs sit for 24 hours to try to recover from the trip from Florida to VA.
Second, put them in the incubator, small end towards the center and fat end to the outside. Automatic turner is on.

MOST IMPORTANT: no candling before day 13.
Humidity can be a bit lower and has a wider range than temps.

I hope the hatch goes well!

Back
Top Bottom