Third attempt at incubating.

Don't beat yourself up about the humidity either. Mine fluctuates between 20 and 50 in this south Alabama weather. I've never added water until lockdown to get humidity to around 45 or so. When the first one pops out I've had my humidity go to over 90%

Don't beat yourself up about the humidity either. Mine fluctuates between 20 and 50 in this south Alabama weather. I've never added water until lockdown to get humidity to around 45 or so. When the first one pops out I've had my humidity go to over 90%
How often are you supposed to add water to a bator? I also heard you can use wet sponges, so I cut up some (they're clean, don't worry) and I stick them in there whenever the humidity is too low.

How often are you supposed to add water to a bator? I also heard you can use wet sponges, so I cut up some (they're clean, don't worry) and I stick them in there whenever the humidity is too low.
It depends on the water tanks in the incubator.

The important thing is to keep humidity at an average of the level you want for the first 18 days. For example, wait until humidity is at 30% and add water. If it goes over your target it is ok.

During lockdown you want to have constant humidity of around 70% and sponges can help get that high if needed. Sponges increase surface area so increases humidity

It depends on the water tanks in the incubator.

The important thing it to keep humidity at an average or the level you want for the first 18 days. For example, wait until humidity is at 30% and add water. If it goes over your target it is ok.

During lockdown you want to have constant humidity of around 70% and sponges can help get that high if needed. Sponges increase surface area so increases humidity
Well, right now I'm shooting for 40-48% humidity and in lockdown I'll be shooting for 62-68%. Thanks for the help! Is it OK if the humidity goes down to 30 for an hour? I check it every hour, that's why I'm asking.

Edit cause clarification.

ok. I’ll give it a second test. This time I’ll put water in it.

my hygrometer is digital.
I used 3 different measure tools. One was cheap and way off, ( came free with heat lamp😅) , but the others were right on and agreed with each other with in 0.1 degree f and with in 1% humidity. One in the incubator controls on top and one in bottom and far corner of the incubator. I put the difference down to heat rising, but it showed that my incubator was correctly calibrated. Good ones aren’t expensive on Amazon, $10-15 range.
note: I found that my incubator had trouble maintaining temp when it wasn’t on a solid surface. I put it on its own box which I put a blanket in. we don’t heat the house at night and it gets down 60f. Now it’s right on and maintaining perfect 99.5 At 42% humidity with the pump when I set it to maintain 45%. I’m happy with it. It’s a brinsea ovation 56ex, by the way.

I did the "keep it at 50" thing once or twice but it fluctuates so much here itd be 40 then 60 then 70 for a few days id open it to lower it and all that was to much to keep up with. I guess if it went to 15 I'd add a little water but I stopped adding water in mine until lockdown day to get it up if it was low. I've hatched quail,ducks,chicks this way well over 80 and mostly 90% hatch rate. Not saying my ways everybody's way but this works here where I am. I just hatched 37 out of 41 mixed breed eggs. And I have 2 dozen lavender orpington eggs from meyer hatchery waiting on me that just got delivered today.

Well, right now I'm shooting for 40-48% humidity and in lockdown I'll be shooting for 62-68%. Thanks for the help! Is it OK if the humidity goes down to 30 for an hour? I check it every hour, that's why I'm asking.

Edit cause clarification.
Yes, and even longer. It is the average over time that matters. Humidity can be in a 20% range- 10% above and 10% below and be fine. Temps need to be .5 above and below of 99.5F and is very important.

Do not stress too much over humidity

Yes, and even longer. It is the average over time that matters. Humidity can be in a 20% range- 10% above and 10% below and be fine. Temps need to be .5 above and below of 99.5F and it very important.

Do not stress too much over humidity
Thank you. I heard a still air incubator should be at 100 degrees... is it .5 below and above that?

Back
Top Bottom