Third attempt at incubating.

All I have is a 10 year old farm innovators 4250. So its not a big fancy incubator im working with. Just have to tinker with her sometimes she gets moody lol.

It depends on the water tanks in the incubator.

The important thing is to keep humidity at an average of the level you want for the first 18 days. For example, wait until humidity is at 30% and add water. If it goes over your target it is ok.

During lockdown you want to have constant humidity of around 70% and sponges can help get that high if needed. Sponges increase surface area so increases humidity
There are special incubator sponges you can get they look like something used in a swamp cooler, honey combed paper

Thank you. I heard a still air incubator should be at 100 degrees... is it .5 below and above that?
The temperature at the middle of the egg should be 99.5

Still air incubators are smaller and air flow is harder to manage. Set still-air incubators at 100 to 101°F at egg height. This is important since the air stratifies in these incubators. There can be as much as a 5° difference in temperature from the top to the bottom of some of the still-air incubators.

Arrgh! Eggs were supposed to be delivered today and of course. They are still sitting in Florida. Poor little munchkins.

Contacted the seller. Laid mostly on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. Sent on Wednesday.

What do you experts think? Ok if they arrive on Monday?

I wish you the very best of luck in your incubation efforts. My first attempts were largely (and exclusively, in the case of my first duck hatch) failures. Have found more success using a "dry" incubation method, but I have a high humidity climate, and am living in an RV, so when its raining outside, its very nearly raining inside too.

Buffering your room temperature, so your incubator has to do less work, is a wise precaution.

LOL!! So, I guess you're doing just fine!! I just don't want to screw this up...so I'm going to do what they did. I've had two batches of croaked babies (in the shell) so I don't want to take a chance.

Since you're so experienced, any helpful tips you'd like to suggest? Believe me, I'll listen to anything anyone says! :)
I am not often on this group and your post did not come through to my email as it's supposed to. Feel free to email directly, [email protected]
If the chicks died at hatch time in your previous attempts to hatch eggs, it is most likely due to inaccurate humidity. If the membranes were dry and tough the humidity was too low-if the membranes were overly wet and sticky the humidity was too high. So watch your humidity closely, especially at hatch time. A mistake often made is opening the incubator when eggs are pipping. This changes the teperature and humidity at a crucial time which can cause DIS.

Arrgh! Eggs were supposed to be delivered today and of course. They are still sitting in Florida. Poor little munchkins.

Contacted the seller. Laid mostly on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. Sent on Wednesday.

What do you experts think? Ok if they arrive on Monday?
A three day difference will not make a difference as long as the eggs are handled correctly. Rough handling is the biggest reason for poor hatches of shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom