Third attempt at incubating.

Thank you, and bless you all ... everyone that has held my nervous hand through this whole process.

They are beautiful. Stunning. Gorgeous. I love them dearly.

Casportpony, You have a wonderful, generous, patient!, nature. Ronott1, just hugs hugs hugs.

I love this BB.
It is wonderful to see the new babies!

Do you think the thread helped with the hatch?

Without a doubt. Yes. Yes, yes. Especially you!

Mother Nature has her own time frame that does not sync with ours. I know it’s corny, but hey, I’m a boomer. I can get away with it...

“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;”

I am grateful to every single person that posted. THANK YOU.

All is not perfect in the land of Orpingtons Mom. Boohoo.

Last chick cannot walk properly due to fused 2nd and 3rd toes. This is also causing some "splaying".

Solution: I have a very sharp Exacto knife; I can separate the skin between. I think I need to do this first as the foot is not spreading correctly, which in turn is causing the splaying. Chick was born this AM, with help from me. While he/she was not shrink wrapped, the membrane was very thick and rubbery.

Comments? Suggestions? No, I will not cull the chick.

AHA! Found an excellent video (where else, BYC)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Only problem it is both feet! :-(

Last edited:
This chick is a FIGHTER!! Yay!

Dr. O. Mom put on her surgical mask, sterilized everything in sight, and performed the surgery on both feet. The right was much worse than the left. I smothered both incisions with Neosporin, with pain relief, and made a chick hobble out of a small ponytail elastic and a drinking straw. Seems to be doing the trick. But the poor little munchkin is tuckered out!

Sleeping on his tummy with legs underneath!

:woot

Another success story, thanks to:
T F F @ B Y C

(The fine folks @ BYC)

Last edited:
Hey, do I need to give him/ her any food or water? Or maybe moist cat food ... with a dropper???
Chick feed and water.
You have had day old chicks before right dip their beaks?
Sprinkle feed on floor of brooder and tap your finger on it.

Do not use a dropper......or if you need to 'force feed' read this first, tho might not work with a tiny chick:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Soak qtip in liquid and hold at the side of beak so it wick into mouth.
Stroke under chin and/or front of throat to stimulate swallowing.

Back
Top Bottom