Third day Chicken with large "mushy " crop

lovetocook

Songster
14 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Washington, NJ
I have a black australorp who has had an unusually large crop for the past 3 days. It is very soft & mushy feeling. She seems okay in every other way. I have massaged it but it does not seem to help.
Should I be concerned & what else can I do for her?

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Black Australorp 6 months old
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Seems fine, free ranging & running with all of her sisters.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing that I know of, her crop is just really large & very soft

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Organic layer feed & an afternoon treat of cooked oats mixed with yogurt.

Water is always available & has organic apple cider vinegar mixed in.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Since she free ranges I can't really tell.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Been massaging her crop couple times a day, she doesn't seem to mind but it doesn't seem to do anything. Also mixed some olive oil into her yogurt today.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? She seems perfectly normal except for the size of her crop, I would like to treat her myself if possible.

24836_chickcrop.jpg

Keep her penned for a day or 2 so you can watch her. Not only to see what her poop looks like but also how well she is eating and drinking. Report back to us regarding the poop and any other symptoms you might notice when you observe her.

Does she have pellets available as well as free ranging? Does she have access to chicken grit and crushed oyster shells at all times (except when on the range)?

She might have a tangle of dried grass and stringy plants in there. Keep her penned so you can watch her.

By the way..she is beauuuutiful!

Last edited:
Thanks Purpletree, I was hoping you were out there. Yes she has access to layer pellets free choice & also grit & oyster shell free choice.
I even keep a container outside of their coop for them.
My problem is I have to be away this weekend, from noon tomorrow till about 10 PM Sunday. Is there anything I could/should do for her before I leave??

If she were mine I would give her some bread bits soaked in olive oil in the morning. Maybe two or three. A little yogurt couldn't hurt either. Mix a teaspoon with something that dissolves such as Cheerios or mix it with some white bread. The last thing she needs right now is fiber. Tell whoever is taking care of your flock to not give her scratch or anything fibrous. If they can give her a teaspoon of yogurt a day for the 2 days that would be fantastic. I would still pen her up with only fresh water and pellets. No grass or free ranging. You can watch her AND you need to see what her poops look like.

Hopefully she can get this to pass on its own. If not you might have to open up her crop and take out the tangled mess.

The instructions on this site are very clear with beautiful pictures.

I'll keep her in my thoughts tonight and you have a wonderful weekend. This will work out one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom