Third night in the coop and we made some progress!

Apr 12, 2011
They free range during the day while we are at work and greet us by our cars when we get home. Of course they greet us expecting treats
big_smile.png
It took them a good couple weeks to get them to come to us by saying "chick chick". But know they have it down pat!

First night, we tried rounding them up for bed around 8. We called them over to the coop with treats and tapped the ramp leading up to their door to get them to go in. No such luck
sad.png
They looked at us like we were crazy. So we chased them around, which took a good thirty minutes. I know that chasing them was a mistake and refuse to do it again.

Second night, we were over the neighbors house and I realized it was dark and the chicks were still out. So we dashed out of the cookout in a hurry only to get home and find eight of them roosting on top of my husbands cars roof rack. We found the ninth chick roosting in my hosta plant. So we were able to just pick them all up with out any fuss and place them in the coop.

Third night, we were on to something. Tonight we waited till nine when they were getting fussy and chirping around the windows on the porch. We coaxed them over to the coop with their treats and I just sat there throwing each treat in their coop one piece at a time. They were trying their best to figure out how to use the ramp to their door, but couldn't get it for the life of them. I then took my finger and started tapping up the ramp and into the coop I put my hand. Two, of the four red sexlink chicks, walked right up the ramp and into the coop. A couple more followed in pursuit and in they went. Within ten minutes seven of the chicks were in the coop roosting on the highest branches
wink.png
. I went to look for the other two that ran away after not even giving it a shot. They were huddled up by our mudroom door (which was the door they were use to coming out in the morning and in at night while in the brooder). Again, this is the time of night when they are so darn exhausted that they wont put up a fight when you go to pick them up. I walked right up to them, picked them up, and took them to the coop.

Hopefully tomorrow they will all put themselves in their. But tonight was a great success! Chickens really aren't as stupid as people say they are.

Okay, I know I'm getting carried away but I'm excited and my hubby doesn't share my joy
roll.png

It took all nine chicks less then ten minutes to get in the coop for the night. I threw some bread in the coop after calling them over and eight jump right in, ate and flew up to the highest roost. The ninth one, our little silkie (skittish as all get out), walked around the outside of the coop for another eight minutes until he/she figured the ramp out! Progress!!!

We went through just about the same thing with this new batch of pullets we have. As it got darker they were walking around the coop cheeping and chirping, like they wanted to go in, but just didn't get the ramp/door concept. We tried herding them in, But that was more or less like trying to herd cats. Had to wait until it was almost dark, then we could just pick them up and put them in. Now they all head in like they are all 'OldHands' at it.
Jack

I'm getting ready to go thu this routine myself.Chickens are in the garage at the moment.The coop is about done.I'm sure I'm going to go thu the same thing.Chickens do like routines,I'll say.Take them off it and its fun to watch.Got lots of raccoons out here so I need them safe.Kevin
hide.gif
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom