Third year chicken keeper saying HI

CHICKEN BUFF

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
Former Alaskans retired to eastern Washington state. This is our third year of chicken keeping and we are absolutely HOOKED. My hubs built an incredible coop from a pattern we found online and we painted it to match the house. We've made friends throughout the neighborhood with gifts of fresh eggs.

The flock began with 15 chicks from McMurray Hatchery - Australorps, Delawares, Red Stars, Speckled Sussex and New Hampshire. Got a bonus chick which turned out to be a Buttercup rooster.

Our absolute favorites? The Speckled Sussex and Red Star. We shared a number of our chickens among family and now we have a flock of eight who will be three years old in April.

We've ordered another 15 chicks for April --- Speckled Sussex of course, plus Americaunas, Cuckoo Marans, Buttercups and Black Stars. We look forward to the "bonus" exotic chick to see what we get! It's like a Crackerjack prize!

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Thanks for saying hi! I didn't know if anyone would actually respond. Nice to meet you --- what's your favorite chicken breed?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have some great breeds. Black Sex Links (Black Stars) are my favorite chickens. They are hardy and friendly egg laying machines. They have been my best layers (along with my Red Stars), consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. My Black Stars have been especially persistent layers in really cold winter temperatures. I also love Australorps, Orpingtons, and Speckled Sussex. They are all hardy, calm and gentle (my children made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs (especially the Australorps). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom