Thirsty, not eating well, watery w/ white poop, lethargic

okiegreengal65

Chirping
Apr 18, 2016
Oklahoma
Doodie is a 1.6 lb silkie. Thought she was broodie at first because she stayed in the nest box she sleeps in. When I would offer her a meal worm she had that glazed eye that they get and wouldn't take the worm. I kept eggs away and took her out of the bed several times a day and broke her. Them she would stay in the coop looking at the wall or while out side she was by her self most of the time, also didn't come running when she heard my voice like normal. She's not eating well at all, today only a few bites at her crumble, and a few small blueberries. Drinking way more than eating. Her poop is watery with gathered drops of white urates. She sleeps allot. I have her in the house now. Took poop to vet and she isn't wormy. Just noticed she acts like she is trying to " push" when she poops. Squated and wiggles for a several seconds longer than normal.

Attachments

• 15757502805961833377061720882813.jpg
    15757502805961833377061720882813.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 14
She's not eating well at all, today only a few bites at her crumble, and a few small blueberries. Drinking way more than eating. Her poop is watery with gathered drops of white urates. She sleeps allot.

Just noticed she acts like she is trying to " push" when she poops. Squated and wiggles for a several seconds longer than normal.
I'm sorry that Doodie is not doing well.
She drinks a lot? How does her crop feel - is it hard, soft, squishy, fluid or air filled, doughy, empty, etc.? I would make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks.

Have you felt of her abdomen between the legs below the vent - any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid?

If she's able to poop, she doesn't have an egg low enough to block the vent, but it might be worth feeling inside the vent about 1-2" to feel for an egg.

Any lice/mites?

I would keep her hydrated. Add some poultry vitamins to the water or direct dose her.
If the crop is not functioning well, then I would hesitate pushing too much food until you get that sorted out. Offer a bit of wet food or something soft like scrambled egg.

Doodie is a 1.6 lb silkie. Thought she was broodie at first because she stayed in the nest box she sleeps in. When I would offer her a meal worm she had that glazed eye that they get and wouldn't take the worm. I kept eggs away and took her out of the bed several times a day and broke her. Them she would stay in the coop looking at the wall or while out side she was by her self most of the time, also didn't come running when she heard my voice like normal. She's not eating well at all, today only a few bites at her crumble, and a few small blueberries. Drinking way more than eating. Her poop is watery with gathered drops of white urates. She sleeps allot. I have her in the house now. Took poop to vet and she isn't wormy. Just noticed she acts like she is trying to " push" when she poops. Squated and wiggles for a several seconds longer than normal.

Her crop was empty this am.

Only feel bones between her legs.

Nothing in her vent. May lay 1 egg a week of I'm lucky.

No lice or mites but have had a problem in the past.

She ate a few bites of wet crumble yesterday but mostly just slung it across the room.

Made her a hidy hole in front of a window and can get out of the sun also. Put wet food, water, dry crumble, and some meal worm pupea in the corner with her. She went to sleep in the sun. When I went to check on her I offered her some Grubbs I got out of some holey pecans. She scarfed down a craw full. 30 min later acted like she feels better.

She has just gotten so skinny. Way thinner than if she had been setting on some eggs. She must have a short attention span because she has only hatched 1 baby usually gives up after 2 weeks or so, did that with her chick. Thankfully I've usually got another to takeup the slack during baby season.

The dark poop on her left is three left poop she did.

And the other pic is what I'm puting in her water.

Think I just heard her squeek. Sounded like a mouse would sound. 15757566275369185045548656711571.jpg 15757567332333369187697686693256.jpg

Sometimes it's hard to know what's going on with them.
It's good that she perked up after eating a bit. I would continue with encouraging her to drink well and eat. If she's been broody, then not, then again, etc., they can zombie out and just don't eat/drink and become weak.
I'm hoping after a few days of supportive care from you she will improve.

That's what I hope also. I took her out side with me while I picked up pecans and did my chicken chores. She came unglued when the young rue came around her. He has no manners at all, will run these girls for ever. I've had to put him in the rue jail before, he may need another vaca. She did eat a bit more after I brought her back in the house.

Just 1 more question little Doodie is doing so much better even putting on some weight, but now she is squatting wiggling her butt like she's trying to poop. But she does it 2 or 3 times in a row and doesn't poop most of the time. She spends allot of time grooming and cleaning her bottem. I've bathed her so she's not very dirty. Her pop is less in size than it normally would be. I think she is now constipated.

Just 1 more question little Doodie is doing so much better even putting on some weight, but now she is squatting wiggling her butt like she's trying to poop. But she does it 2 or 3 times in a row and doesn't poop most of the time. She spends allot of time grooming and cleaning her bottem. I've bathed her so she's not very dirty. Her pop is less in size than it normally would be. I think she is now constipated.
Hopefully she is constipated and doesn't have a blockage.
I would give her 1 teaspoon coconut oil or mineral oil, see if that helps.

I don't know if it's just me but I'm lost on this site now days. I can never find where I need to go for what. Lol Any way can chickens have gas? Today I'm pretty dang sure that's what she started doing. It sounds more like a very low, quiet, watery, air coming out but not sure if it's coming thru her throat or her rear end. Going to give her coconut oil now I'll try to find the dosage. Thank you so much.

Yes, I do think they can have gas.
I would start with giving 1 teaspoon coconut oil. Refrigerate/freeze it to harden it, break up into small pieces, hopefully she will eat it on her own. That's much safer than trying to syringe oil where they might aspirate.

Back
Top Bottom