This and that about my Pekin ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Clucknut, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Clucknut

Clucknut Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I’ve had a pair of Pekin ducklings from Tractor Supply for about 10 days now. They’re living in the tub in the spare bath room. This is the first time I’ve used the tub as a brooder... All animal housing should have a drain and a hand-held shower head! Just scoop out the dirty shavings, give it a good rinsing, a quick towel dry, fresh shavings, and it’s good to go! [​IMG]
    Over the years, I’ve raised and kept several flocks of standard-size chickens, a pair of mallards, and a grumpy old goose, all from babies. I currently have a flock of twenty OEG bantams, and have gotten pretty used to their small size.
    I’ve never had Pekins before, and find it surprising that they are already as big as the bantams, and still show no sign of feathering. Just how big are these guys going to get? [​IMG]
    It’s always fun raising babies… At some point, you notice that they’ve become aware of you. These two rival my dogs when it comes to eye contact. (The old, Jedi-Beagle mind control trick.) One of these days, they’ll be eating their daily scrambled egg treat out of my hand, but for now it’s, “Put the bowl down, human, and back away slowly.”

…”Yes, Masters.” [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to the Duck Side!

Any time you want to upload photo's, please feel free [​IMG]

Have you taken a look at jdywntr's Duckling Care thread? That's a nice summary, and covers things about ducklings you may not have figured out yet.

Ducklings grow fast and Pekins are not tiny ducks!

Everything okay with them?

3. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Congrats! Feel free to join us on the BYC Pekin Club :)

4. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    I am thinking about getting four ducklings from TSC but they don't say a breed. I had been told that Pekin ducks are a good breed to have. How do I know if that is what I am getting? What do the babies look like?

5. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    [​IMG] this is two of my 3 Tsc pekin guys they will be 1march 27 they get pretty big but are loads of fun.

6. Ashleyvp918

Ashleyvp918 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    I just got 2 TSC ducklings march 2nd, I was wondering how old they were or how I could find out. Their names are Quakers and flappy (3 year old named them)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by