This beautiful bird just showed up!

Having worked in rescue all my life I have to agree but when people are faced with homelessness or family emergencies they'll dump their pets.More than likely she got lost and belongs to a neighbor.
I know just from the fact that she's healthily plump and clear eyed that someone loved her. If we found her owners we'd give her back. But I don't think that will happen. And after all the spoiling I'm doing to her, she might not want to go back.:)

From the picture her comb doesn't look very big, I know with my hatchery bought RIR (which she very closely resembles, some of them also have some black feathers in the tail) when they were younger the combs were about that size and have gotten bigger and more filled out as they mature. I'd guess she's about 26 to 28 weeks if she's laying. Mine didn't start laying till around 24 weeks. Here's mine last december (about 6 or 7 mos old) as an example, they're more poofy cause it's cold but if she was in my flock I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

View attachment 3673368
Thanks for the pics. Yeah, she's younger than our girls so we're just guessing her age. I'm watching for eggs on the ground, since she wouldn't know where the nests are yet. I hope she'll learn from the older girls. I will say that she has a much longer beak than our cinnamon queens and golden comets.

I doubt that happened. This bird escaped from it's home, got lost and didn't know how to get back.
Yes, I believe she did. We just stopped in at a neighbors house to ask if they had lost a chicken, but they don't have chickens. As healthy as she seems, it makes sense she was cared for. I'm interested to see if she sleeps on the top perch again with the big girls tonight.

Well, if she's an escapee, she couldn't have gotten too darned far! 😜

And IF her people aren't knocking on doors or taping flyers on mailboxes down the row, maybe they aren't really worried.

Maybe - for whatever reason- they thought she was a cockerel..? :idunno

Or... better yet 😆... maybe they bought a mixed lot and she was the ONLY pullet :lau and they knew you had a flock..?

Gosh, who knows? :confused:

But it sure is lucky YOU happen to be a wonderful space for her, eh? 😏 And that your flock is pretty welcoming is a good sign.

You'll want to look her over very carefully to make certain she doesn't have mite or anything, might want to go ahead give her a good once over for any foot issues and maybe dust her with some poultry powder for good measure.

If the eggs are thin, she might need calcium. Show her where she can find that. Maybe that will help...?

If she is a production chicken that sprang a 'big place'- I say- GOOD :wee!!

She SHOULD be!! That is no way to live!
More power to her- and you- and whoever helped free her! Lol

I don't feel badly for whoever had her first, if they were looking for her, you would know it. 🤨

That bird didn't take a 474 trek to find you! :D She can only walk so far as those lil feet can take her- and she made in ONE PIECE 😏- so- not that far! 😆

She's meant to be exactly where she is! 🤗

Good on you!
Even better for HER! :woot

Well, if she's an escapee, she couldn't have gotten too darned far! 😜

And IF her people aren't knocking on doors or taping flyers on mailboxes down the row, maybe they aren't really worried.

Maybe - for whatever reason- they thought she was a cockerel..? :idunno

Or... better yet 😆... maybe they bought a mixed lot and she was the ONLY pullet :lau and they knew you had a flock..?

Gosh, who knows? :confused:

But it sure is lucky YOU happen to be a wonderful space for her, eh? 😏 And that your flock is pretty welcoming is a good sign.

You'll want to look her over very carefully to make certain she doesn't have mite or anything, might want to go ahead give her a good once over for any foot issues and maybe dust her with some poultry powder for good measure.

If the eggs are thin, she might need calcium. Show her where she can find that. Maybe that will help...?

If she is a production chicken that sprang a 'big place'- I say- GOOD :wee!!

She SHOULD be!! That is no way to live!
More power to her- and you- and whoever helped free her! Lol

I don't feel badly for whoever had her first, if they were looking for her, you would know it. 🤨

That bird didn't take a 474 trek to find you! :D She can only walk so far as those lil feet can take her- and she made in ONE PIECE 😏- so- not that far! 😆

She's meant to be exactly where she is! 🤗

Good on you!
Even better for HER! :woot
Thank you Clucked Up! I assure you that it's us who feel blessed to have her. As for the flock, she's being accepted as much as to be expected for a stranger. Our flock were raised from one day old chicks we got from Cackle. We do have two roosters, but they seem to almost protect her, at least they don't attack her. Now, some of the girls (barred rock and hybrid cinnamon queen or golden comets), well they do chase her a bit but not too aggressively. The fact that she is sleeping with the whole crew is pretty amazing. And yeah, if it was us who lost her, we'd be out putting up flyers and knocking on doors. Being in the country, we don't have many CLOSE neighbors. We are just blessed she came our way. And rest assured she'll be spoiled like the rest, with watermelon, hangup cabbages and lettuce, plenty of mealworms, ground corn and organic scratch and food. Nothing's too good for our flock. And since they've been cooped up together for two days now, we might let them out this afternoon and let them free range. Again, thanks for your input and thoughts. We do love our chickens!!
Here she is last night, on the second perch in the middle.
1698929951134.png

And early in the evening.
1698930172946.png

Back
Top Bottom