This beautiful bird just showed up!

RedHillChicken

Songster
Dec 3, 2022
IMG_4144.JPG

We've been blessed with this new arrival. Cinnamon/brown with black tail feathers. We hope it's a female. She arrived two nights ago, and stayed out in the bushes every night. But every morning she'd show up. She has been taken care of quite well, and she has clear eyes. Got her to go into the coop/run this morning with the other ladies without much fussing, and tonight she's asleep between two of our buff orpingtons. We're figuring she's 16-20 weeks old. Any ideas as to breed and gender?

Last edited:
The yolk being yellow indicates that she was on a strict diet of only chicken feed and nothing else. Which also makes me think she was confined and happen to escape her confinement and ran off.

I'd just keep her and give her the best life you can provide. When chickens are treated well they know this place is there home and never run off.

From the picture her comb doesn't look very big, I know with my hatchery bought RIR (which she very closely resembles, some of them also have some black feathers in the tail) when they were younger the combs were about that size and have gotten bigger and more filled out as they mature. I'd guess she's about 26 to 28 weeks if she's laying. Mine didn't start laying till around 24 weeks. Here's mine last december (about 6 or 7 mos old) as an example, they're more poofy cause it's cold but if she was in my flock I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

12 24 2022 552am -3 deg.JPG

View attachment 3673040
We've been blessed with this new arrival. Cinnamon/brown with black tail feathers. We hope it's a female. She arrived two nights ago, and stayed out in the bushes every night. But every morning she'd show up. She has been taken care of quite well, and she has clear eyes. Got her to go into the coop/run this morning with the other ladies without much fussing, and tonight she's asleep between two of our buff orpington. We're figuring she's 16-20 weeks old. Any ideas as to breed and gender?
Production red? Seems like a hen to me! Maybe Rhode island red

Breed and gender!? How about ideas as to owner and contact info!? Shes lovely 🥰
She obviously has been taken care of, and it's sad she's not at her home. We don't know anyone around us that have birds, but would return her to her owners if we could find them. For now, she's getting love and attention (and treats) like our flock. The fact that she slept on the top perch with two buffs is encouraging.

The yolk being yellow indicates that she was on a strict diet of only chicken feed and nothing else. Which also makes me think she was confined and happen to escape her confinement and ran off.

I'd just keep her and give her the best life you can provide. When chickens are treated well they know this place is there home and never run off.
Believe me, she'll be well taken care of and loved along with the rest of our flock of 15 hens and two roosters.

Having worked in rescue all my life I have to agree but when people are faced with homelessness or family emergencies they'll dump their pets.More than likely she got lost and belongs to a neighbor.
I know just from the fact that she's healthily plump and clear eyed that someone loved her. If we found her owners we'd give her back. But I don't think that will happen. And after all the spoiling I'm doing to her, she might not want to go back.:)

So I want to update y'all on our new girl. We're calling her Lucy, as in Lucky Lucy. She started laying the first week of November after only being here for about week. Her eggs are a chocolate brown, and seem to be getting progressively darker. My wife seems to think Lucy is a French Black Tail Red Maran. Who'd a thunk? Anyhow, she is fitting in as well as a lone hen would in an established flock. The funny thing is that we've got two roosters, Bok Bok who is a Barred Rock and the "HEAD ROOSTER IN CHARGE", and Dot, who is a Black Laced Golden Wyandotte and was hatched at the same time as the rest of our flock. Lucy and Dot are "an item" now. They hit it off right away:)

Back
Top Bottom