This breaks my heart... i have to cull a chick :(

Amethyste

For Love of Boo...
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Silverlake/Mill Creek, WA
I have come to the sad realization that I have to put down a 7 week old chick
sad.png

Her cross beak is getting progressively worse, and she isnt doing well at all. I have tried syringe feeding her and it isnt working well...she fights me like crazy
sad.png
I took her to the vet, and he agreed with me that this little one is just going to have serious issues. He thinks there may be something else going on as well inside her, not illness, but something congenital. She is starting to refuse food
sad.png
Even the watermelon and the oatmeal mash i made for her.

So, the time has come for me to step up and do the right thing, tho it brings me to tears atm. I will give her tonight to be with her family...and tomorrow I will do what needs to be done.

I have never had to do this before with one of my birds...I feel so terribly guilty atm but I know its the right thing to do, cos she doesnt really have much of a life. She has just been getting progressively skinnier than the others. She is only 3/4 size of the others that are same age. She is getting weaker all the time too...she hasnt really been running around as much as the others either. All my other birds have died on thier own, except for one we had the vet put down. I could have the vet do it, but I feel this is something I need to do. I need to know i can take a life if needed, all part and parcel i think of being a resposible flock keeper. Besides, I will have meat chickens one day... and will need to know how to end their life.

I will do the broomstick culling I think, but my heart is heavy atm
sad.png
I will kiss her on top of her little head and tell her that she will be in a better place, and then do what needs to be done.

Is it always this hard to think about the first time? Will Momma Esther wonder where her chick is? Should i let them see her so they know she is gone? I just am not sure what to do regarding that.

I just need a hug
sad.png

So sorry you're having to do this. It's truly the responsible thing to do but I know it is hurtful to you. I'm just saying a little prayer over you now for your strength and comfort and you give yourself a pat on the back for not letting the poor thing suffer...........

Bless you for being a good chickie momma.

hugs.gif

You're right, it is hard, especially the first time. I think you're doing the right thing - you're a caring and responsible chicken owner.
hugs.gif
I still get a sick feeling in my stomach when I have to do it.

There's no need to show the mama. Broody hens don't seem to miss the babies, unless they're ALL gone, so I don't think it would help for them to see their fallen comrade.

For young birds, I prefer to use scissors or game shears. It's the quickest I've found and I can hold them gently while getting the shears in place and they don't seem to get stressed out.

hugs.gif
I'm sorry about your loss.
sad.png

I sadly did my first today. She had been in decline for a couple of weeks and wasn't responding to any treatment. Get the emotional part out of the way tonight, and be all business in the morning.

I was shaken for a couple of hours, but I'm relieved for her sake now. A slow decline is a much worse way to go.

Be strong and get it done, and then prepare for a good long cry.

I didn't think I had the strength to do it but I found it, and you will too.

It's always hard, but many times it's the kindest thing you can do for a beloved animal, rather than let them suffer. Unfortunately, it never gets any easier, but you never look back with regrets, because you know you did the right thing.

She's gone.

I am a bit sad atm
sad.png
but I am proud of myself that I did what needed to be done and I dont think she suffered as I did it. She was sooooo skinny and watching her trying to eat this am was heartbreaking. I tried again to syringe her food but she refused. So, I figured it was her time to go before our fall weather kicks in and it gets cold and wet...I don't think she would have had the reserves.

I wasnt expecting her to flap that much...tho I knew she would.

Momma Esther was distressed when I took the chick...but after the deed was done I brought her and the others some corn on the cob to distract them. she doesnt seem too concerned that she is missing a chick...I kind of thought she might but its probably for the best.

Thank you all for the hugs and the assistance....it helped a lot
smile.png

Poor little thing....I know i did the right thing, but its not always easy to do it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom