This Can't Be Good

peepinglaura

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
One of my chicks is probably dying while pipping, maybe while I type this. It has pipped away a large hole, but the membrane seems intact. Something occaisonally sticks out the hole, but it looks more like foot than beak. the big problem is that there seems to be some fluid seeping out, and inside the membrane looks like it may be a spot of blood (or not; I can't tell).

I'm reluctant to intervene because (1) I don't know what's going on and (2) I don't want to open the incubator again. There are still other peeping eggs, and I already had to open it twice, once to grab a hot chick, and another to free a chick stuck on a wire in the bator.

But I think I'm watching it drown.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I hatched a chick last year that had a ton of fluid in the shell. It hatched with its organs outside its body.
sad.png
Your baby may be ok, give it time, but lots of fluid isn't the best thing.

Since you have eggs pipping right now I wouldn't risk opening the bator again unless you want to lose them all. I know its hard but sometimes you have to let nature take its course. More times than not I've followed this rule and everything has worked out fine. Good luck and keep us posted!

Yes, I agree. I am disinclined to help, because of the other pips and because I don't know what's going on. If it is something like organs developing outside the body I'm not doing it any favors by helping it hatch anyway. Excellent. It's unanimous. Leave it be.

The terrible thing with my chick was that it actually hatched, and SURVIVED for 10 hours dragging its guts around. I don't think it was ever in pain, I think it just bled to death. But I felt terrible for the poor little thing.

Wow, I'm glad for the warning. I may have to open this one after hatching to see if I can figure out what happened. I'm actually half- hoping it is deformed, so I don't feel guilty for opening that bator door.

hon put your mind at ease opening the bator would not cause that it causes the membrane to dry out and they cant turn in the egg to pip and zip. This is not your fault it is the heartbreak of hatching . Hope it makes it but not good you are right. sounds like the egg may not have evaporated enough or chick is turned wrong

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom