This Coop is Turning into a Behemoth! **UPDATED pics on pg7**

Quote:
Sorry about that. I fixed the images in my BYC page but forgot to fix them in this thread. They should work now. I promise!
big_smile.png

I told my DH that this is the coop I want him to build for me! Great job! Keep posting pictures!
roll.png
thumbsup.gif

Here's some updated pics:

Here's the interior. The gable fan is a small fan and motor from our fireplace exhaust and is on a dimmer so the speed can be adjusted accordingly. The plywood at the front help to keep the litter inside the coop. The plywood lifts out for easy cleaning.
76122_chicken_coop_week_4_5_6_028.jpg

Here's the inside of the run. For the ramp, I used two 8 foot pressure treated 6 inch decking lumber. I wrapped them in chicken wire to improve traction and used 1 x 2's every six inches. I built a small deck beneath the hatch door and attached the ramp to that with two 3 inch hinges so it can be lifted up out of the way to clean the run. The chickens figured it out very quickly and it works great.
76122_chicken_coop_week_4_5_6_010.jpg

One run is almost complete. The only thing left is to bury the apron for looks. The run is covered in 4' welded wire with pressure treated 2x4's on end at the seams. Eventually I will add hardware cloth to the lower section of the run. There will be an identical run on the other side.
76122_chicken_coop_week_4_5_6_008.jpg

Coming along very nicely! Do you travel? I could use your carpentry skills! lol

I especially like the plywood idea to hold the bedding in. Our babies can be very messy!

It's been awhile since I updated our progress. The second run is complete and the welded wire apron is buried. The only thing left to do is to bury the cable and hook up permanent electricity and do a little staining.

76122_coop_7-2-11_005.jpg

This shot shows the swing my wife bought me for my birthday. It's made from recycled milk jugs. I designed and built the trellis from cedar. We're trying to get clematis to vine up the sides but the chickens keep eating it. This summer we are learning alot about chicken proofing our gardens and landscaping.
big_smile.png

76122_coop_7-2-11_004.jpg

And here's some of my chook's:

76122_coop_7-2-11_011.jpg

They're hatchery chickens so nothing too spectacular but I love 'em.

Back
Top Bottom