This has probably already been asked... BUT....

I have found a sure fire way to tell they are going broody...when they are out and about (before they actually start to set), they make the same noise they make when they have chicks. It's a very short, soft cluck, over and over again. It means "Follow me children".

Definitely mark the eggs because other hens will get in the nest box and they'll take those too!

To get the eggs under her, I have found I just have to put them in front of her and she'll roll them right under. Stay and watch though just to be sure.

Pullet eggs could be fertile if there's been a rooster doing his thing. I wouldn't allow her to hatch them until she's been laying at least a month. In fact, I wouldn't let them hatch the first time they go broody. I have a buff orp that didn't sit for 21 days!! It was her first time and she didn't have eggs but I'm glad I didn't give her any. It tells me I better have the incubator ready next time!!

Good luck to you guys!! I'm just going to play with the bantam chicks at the farm and not let my own girls hatch til spring!
big_smile.png

Ellen

Country Gal - she got off the nest after about 3 hours... oh well... I will keep you updated to let you when and if she goes boody. It has been fun with you since you are going throught the same as I am. To be honest, I am kinda scared and worried about the coming weather and hatching out eggs at this point. Think if it happens, I will have to go by a heater for them to ease my mind
gig.gif

bantymum - I really can say much, I mean she is only 23 weeks old and has only been laying for a week or so. I just was currious and really wanted to know what she was doing and how to tell things. my breeds are in my signature.

Ellen, Thanks for the info!!! Another worry I had was the fact that she might not sit the full 21 days and no bator... i would feel awful!!!

I am definatly learning alot from all of you and appreciate it very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Tes

Windy - I also had concerns about hatching right before winter. Up here in Michigan, it gets pretty darn cold! But I never expected myself to get so addicted to chickens the way I have! Seriously, the thought of adding to the flock makes me want to jump up and down!!!

I am right there with ya as for the excitement part... DH thinks I am just crazy.

I used to live in Elkhart/Goshen (border of MI & IN) area so I remember those winters well. Now that I am in VA we get nothing like we did up there!!! LOL.... do you remember the bad snow storm in January of 99.... I do... I have a beautiful red head to remind me of it
gig.gif

I remember that one! I went up to the tip of the thumb over New Year's weekend to my dad's condo. I was planning on just going for a day trip, then he talked me and my boyfriend into staying overnight because it had started to snow.

When we woke up the next morning, there was 2' of snow on the ground! I was so anxious to get home and I didn't want to wait for the snow plow to do the parking lot of the condo complex. I grabbed some shovels and made my boyfriend help me shovel a path from the car to the street so we could get out!
lol.png

There were several interesting car trips that week - I felt like a cat with 9 lives!

gig.gif
Yeppers... Girl, we were snowed in!!! Couldn't go no where!!!! Good thing we had food in the house LOL... it wouldnt have mattered anyways, stores were closed LOL. That same year my son made an iglo and got frost bit... he was about 10 then... had to do the special bath and get him drunk from JD to warm him up. Hospital told us too LOL... it was a site!!!!!!!!

Personally I would love to have a snow like that again... but I on the other hand... oh goodness... I would have to let all my 50 chickens 5 ducks and 4 turkeys 3 horses, 4 dogs, (pigs stay outside LOL) in the house because I would be scared they were not warm enough
gig.gif
Now just picturing that sight is giving me second thoughts on the snow thing LOL ... hmmm really need to get working on that barn with heat LOL.

One thing I notice with my broodies too is that after about a week of thinking about it they will pluck thier breast feathers so that the eggs are right on skin to get the most warmth, if you see your hen out and can catch her check to see if the feathers are thin in that area and that can tell you if she is going broody. Different hens pull different amounts of feathers. I have 2 full broodies and a couple thinking right now. I lost one to a predator the other night. She was gone in the morning. I tried to transfer her to a safe cage but she wouldnt sit on eggs in the safe house so I let her stay in the nest boxes. I will have to set some traps and have the shotgun ready. Good luck when they go broody, Jenn

I am all for a big snow once a year (preferably around Christmas - nothing worse than a green Christmas!!!), and then for spring to follow. I wish our winters were shorter!

That darn hen is sitting on her egg again today! I'm sure she'll be off by the time I get home from work...

DF called this morning to let me know that one of the roosters attacked him when he went in to check on their food and water. I asked him "were there hens in the nest boxes?" He said there were two of them in the boxes, and I explained that he was probably trying to protect them. I also think that this guy (my OEGB) will be a little more aggressive since I'm a bit low on my hen:rooster ratio and the BO roo won't let him near the girls usually. Just one more reason why I need to get more chickens!
D.gif

Jen - thanks for the info, will be sure to keep an eye out on those feathers. Sorry to hear about your girl. I hate when I loose one! Good Idea on the traps and shot gun. We have the traps set and guns ready to go ourselves!!!

Country - I would love to have a white Christmas again too!!! Have not seen on in ages!
LOL... mine sat for quite a while today too... but finally got off. Guess I will just have to keep my mind on her... At night she is not in the nest she is on the roost so at least I know what is going on. LOL I keep saying I need more chickens too (50 is just not enough)
gig.gif
I'm KIDDING... lol.

I can say one thing for sure... we are learning a ton of info... So glad that we have gotten the responces that we have gotten! THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!! and keep them coming... the more we know the happier our chickies are!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom