This has probably already been asked... BUT....

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
How would I know when my hen is going or is broody? How long do they stay broody for??? I am just currious.
I know this question has probably been asked several times... but I just can't seem to find the answer.

You will know it when you see it. She will be just as nasty as possible when you try to move her off of the nest. It is like avian PMS.

Rufus

She will set on her nest..and when you approach her, she will fluff up her heathers, and make a sound like a little teradactyl! Mean sounding! LOL She will set ( if she is a GOOD broody) for up to a month...some longer or untill her eggs hatch. Depends on the hen.

Here's my Sunny on the nest when she was broody. Note the fluffed feathers and glazed look in her eye:
DCP_4205.jpg

DCP_6578.jpg

Thank you for the infomation and Cyn, I have a Buff Orp that looks and acts like that for just laying an egg LOL the meanie even bit me yesterday!!!! No she is not broody yet, just started laying and she is not staying on the nest. I am thinking she would actually be my best one. At least I know the eggs would be well taken care of. And that sound... I think I have heard it too from her, but I have a feeling it is going to get worse if I am understanding correctly. Can you all tell she does not like me in the coop when she is laying.

Your hen could be thinking about it. They lay a clutch and then set. I have one that is a wild thing for about ten days before she settles on the eggs. Once she has it in her mind she chases anything that get near her, screaches, Puffs her wings out and charges. She is something else. I have others that go about there normal business and one day just don't leave the nest. They also do not make much fuss when bothered while on the nest. I have one now that I lift off the eggs without a peep and put her outside to take care of nature. She is in such a trance that I am not sure she would ever get off the nest if I did not move her. She has not been a very hardy girl and I have been doctoring her for several months. She finally went broody about 7 days ago and I gave her two eggs just so her will get over it and I can better monitor her overall health.

About the hen that I mentioned above... she has only been laying about a week or so. Could she go broody so soon??? I thought they waited until they have layed for a while... but then again, my buff orps are not your normal hens either LOL and from what I have heard Buff Orps are the broodiest ones ever.

jimnjay - thats interesting, how old is she? how long has she been laying?

Most of mine are just about 23 weeks with a few RIR's that are just about 19 weeks.

Thanks for the Info
Tes

WindyOaksYokes - you read my mind! I normally don't log in on the weekends, but one of my BO's is acting this way too and I have to ask the question - is my chicken broody??? I didn't think they would start brooding this young!

She's 22 weeks old, and she's the only one that I ever actually see in the nest boxes - the other girls jump right off when they're done. Last Sunday she bit me and I had to have my fiance get her off the nest. She was so angry that we took her egg that she stomped and clucked outside the coop for a good 20 minutes!!!
D.gif

So I went out this morning, and there she is again, sitting on an egg!
he.gif
She's been there for about 2 hours now, starts growling at me when I get close and puffing up her feathers. She wouldn't even get off the nest for scratch.

If she is broody, I wouldn't mind letting her go ahead and hatch some chicks, but she's only been laying for a little over a week - the pullet eggs won't hatch, right? Should I just go ahead and get some fertile eggs for her to set on?

(Sorry for highjacking the thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread about the exact same topic)
smile.png

I have raise Buff Orps and have found that they can go Broody within weeks of laying their first eggs!!....Mine set in the nest, growl and puff up!!...If she is there in the evening on the nest and you find her there in the morning, she has gone broody...I had one this passed Spring that sat on air for over 30 days...finally gave her a clutch of eggs that she hatched out....so she sat for over 51 days......

Country Gal, you are more than welcome to hijack thread!!!! Since we are both in the same situation you will probably help me out as I have helped you so far
big_smile.png
LOL.

I just went out there to check for eggs, and there she is ... screaching and yelling at me. As for my hens, I have about 5 that will sit there for a bit before jumping off... they are mostly BR's. I really didnt think they were the broody type. LOL... guess I need to go back and re read.

What is interesting to me is that my girl is acting the same as yours!!! So this oughta be interesting LOL... we can work together with the help of everyone else LOL. And maybe become chicken grandmas together
gig.gif

Keep in touch and I will do the same.
Tes

Back
Top Bottom