This hen used to be bullied I adopted her from my buddy's farm and now her feathers are growing back

TreyShanks20

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2015
Columbus, Nebraska

Looks like the feathers are coming back. Sometimes extra protein will help in feather growth. An all flock type feed with oyster shells offered separately(if she is laying) may help boost her protein. I've also read that some give tuna, cat food and meat scraps for added protein.

Is she still separated from your other chickens? If so and she was bullied at her other home, you may want to read up on introducing a single hen to the flock, so hopefully she isn't bullied too badly in the future.

At the farm she was on she had a friend which is my young buff orpington layer who just started laying. So when I picked her up, he gave me her buddy, so she is in with just her bud right now

I'm so glad she has a buddy. My BO's are very sweet, so I'm sure yours is too.:)
one of the two layed 1 egg about a week ago and hasn't layed since then,the buff orpington just started laying recently and right now we did have a foot of snow on the ground. It is now melting away there is now about 4 inches Is there any idea on why they are not laying more

one of the two layed 1 egg about a week ago and hasn't layed since then,the buff orpington just started laying recently and right now we did have a foot of snow on the ground. It is now melting away there is now about 4 inches Is there any idea on why they are not laying more

I'm not sure why she quit laying. How old are they? Less light in the winter can reduce production. I suppose weather can too. What are you feeding them?

generic layer pellets is there a certain brand or one that you recommend

I don't really have a recommendation on a particular brand, I use an all flock type feed mainly because I have a cockerel and it is higher in protein. I offer oyster shells (for calcium) free choice in a separate dish and the girls that have started to lay will eat them if needed. Layer pellets are fine, just give them some oyster shells on the side if they are laying. How old do you think they are and how long have you had them?

Back
Top Bottom