This is a fault in silkies, isnt it?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
This 2 week old chick has 5 toes on one foot and 5 on the other, but on the one foot there seems to be like a 6th toe growing at the tip. There's a nail and everything. I'm guessing that counts as a 6th toe. And I'm guessing that is a fault. What a shame, cause she is a sexlinked pullet :(

Attachments

• 20230429_154527.jpg
    20230429_154527.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230429_154529.jpg
    20230429_154529.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 2
It's a fault. Where did you get her? If TSC or Hoover's (they're the same place as far as chicks goes), things like that happen. I had a Silkie chick with an odd extra toe that fell off a few days later. With your pullet, I highly doubt it'll fall off, but I strongly suggest keeping that nail trimmed down (removing it would be best if it was possible). It could cause troubles for you pullet if you don't keep it trimmed.

It's a fault. Where did you get her? If TSC or Hoover's (they're the same place as far as chicks goes), things like that happen. I had a Silkie chick with an odd extra toe that fell off a few days later. With your pullet, I highly doubt it'll fall off, but I strongly suggest keeping that nail trimmed down (removing it would be best if it was possible). It could cause troubles for you pullet if you don't keep it trimmed.
I hatched her from my flock. I know who both of her parents are and they both have 5 toes on both legs. I don't know why this has happened to her, but I'm guessing things like this just sometimes happen.

Back
Top Bottom