This is a first.

Col1948

Songster
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester UK
First time I've seen this in the coop, got one hen in the nest box laying, another went in the coop and seemed to be waiting till this one had finished.
Not sure if she couldn't wait any longer so she went in the nest box next to the first one, they have a tendency to go one at a time as a rule.

Col.

I only have 4, they usually lay in the same nest box. But once in awhile both nest boxes will have eggs.

You're fortunate she waited in line with some sense of decorum. My Iowa Blues will literally scream at each other if either Pip or Squeak wants to use the (favorite) nest box and her sister is laying. Heaven forbid they use BOTH nest boxes at the same time!

I've had three in one box at same time trying to lay on top of each other In our other pre-fab coop. Now with much bigger coop and 8 boxes they spread out and at least use two of them.

I watched one yesterday, she went in one nest box, sat there for a while then came out of the coop, a few minutes later she went back in, then went in another nest box, then she was leaning out picking straw from the one she first went in next door and placing it in hers.

Back
Top Bottom