This is a ridiculous question, but...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Becky_H, May 8, 2009.

1. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm getting a half-dozen 3 month old chickens on wednesday. We're driving about an hour and a half to pick them up. 2 are roos, the other 4 are hens.

Can I get away with a couple of medium sized dog carriers and/or big cardboard boxes for transporting them back, or should everyone be separated?

(This is, obviously, mostly a case of over-excitement and over thinking, I'm sure.)

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Im sure one medium sized dog crate would be enough. It will keep them from moving around too much too. I would also throw a towel or something over it so it stays dark inside. Less stress on the birds. [​IMG]

3. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It's an enclosed crate, though I'll still make sure to toss a sheet over it. My only *major* concern was the roosters going at it on the trip home. Though I suppose that's less likely at their age and in the dark.

...I'm such a dork sometimes.

THANK YOU.

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Quote:At 3 months old I don't think you should have too much trouble with 2 roo's together. Especially if they were raised together. Enjoy them :

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I don't think you'll have any problems.

6. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I have put 9 twelve week old roos in a 2' x 2' box without any problem. Once the box starts moving they all tend to settle down and "roost" because they cannot keep their balance. This is especially true in a vehicle.

Older chickens may try to establish a pecking order in the box if they are not use to being around each other. Had three hens in a big box with plenty of room but found blood splattered all over and an egg rolling around on one trip. It was just a bloodied comb, but it scared me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by