This is a Roo EE right?

how old? if it is less than 5 months then the saddle feathers wouldn't be a reliable tell....
unfortunately, if they are real young then you may have 2 cockerals, one with a single comb and one with a pea comb. The pea comb is very red also, it is just smaller because it is a different comb type. My ameraucana and EE girls don't get red combs until they are almost ready to lay and that has never been before 6-7 months old. Like I said, I would love to know how old then I can get a better idea.

There around three months old.

Both Roo's ?? that means the whole batch of six ST run are roo's most likely.....

Last edited:
They both look like my 3 month old pullets. My roos are all very obvious even though only one is crowing.
23831_p5030130.jpg

Black/white and black/red are roos
Brown/white crowed at 8 weeks.
23831_p5110160.jpg

Wow eight weeks crowing! thats adorable!

I see saddle feathers on yours non on mine.. but mine are just under three months old. no crowing thats for sure!

I think I'll wait a while to start giving away the Roo's to make sure I want to keep as many of my babies as I can.

DSC08022.jpg

Last edited:
They look like EE crosses to me, which makes it harder to tell gender than it is with the hatchery EEs (we don't know what they were crossed with and how fast that breed matures). Based on their body shape & lack of sickle feathers, I'd guess both pullets.

They came from a hatchery in a bin of assortaed banty breeds at my local feed store.

They order the mixed banty assrotment and we pick out a few chicks each year.

I can order my own breeds but have to get 25. and we just want to raise a few in the house for fun.

I'm just guessing they are EE's I have got other breeds there before and they all look like "pure hatchery breeds" when grown.

I'm not sure which one they order from, I can ask next time I'm there.

I like your guess!!! I'm praying for pullets:cool:

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe banty EE's are bred a little different. The splash color and comb type of the first one are what looks so different to me. I've heard of EEs having a single comb, but hadn't seen one yet. I've also never seen that color before on an EE, but.... I've also seen very few bantam EEs, so mayber that's the reason.

Coming from a hatchery and with the green legs and beards, I'm sure they're normal bantam EEs after all. They sure are pretty.

From the feathering I'm voting both pullets. I have one with similar coloring as the white, but she's a pea comb, and full sized. Initially we called her Dotty, but we've changed to Kiwi, after the shoe polish brand- she looks like she got into the shoe polish!

Back
Top Bottom