This is agonizing

You had to get rid of him? Oh man, that's such a shame. I was just going to ask you what he was - he looked very handsome! If you've only got the one adult hen, I'd reckon the chances are quite good on her accepting the chick once it's a little bit older and bigger. There will probably be a bit of pecking and scuffling to start with, but they should get on okay after a couple of days. Chickens don't really like to be on their own...

Wait until the little one is pretty much all feathered out, say maybe 6-8 weeks old, and then pen off a separate area in the coop with a small doorway that only s/he can get in through, so s/he can hide from the big one if necessary. Keep an eye on them at first just to check everything seems okay. Good luck!

Thanks Gypsy, That's what I'll do.
Ronnie was a Brahma. I did everything I could to keep him. He was very loud but I added sound proofing material to the upstairs part of the ark and raised the ramp every night to lock him there. The crowing was very muted and I don't understand how it could bother anyone, but it evidently did. I didn't lower the ramp until 8:30 or so every morning but that wasn't good enough I guess.
One of my neighbors who never had a problem with Ronnie's crowing, said that she will make Coq Au Vin. I feel like force feeding all the complainers but hopefully I'll get over my anger soon.

Just a quick update.
Shilo is exactly one month old today and is doing fine. I've moved her (I'm hoping it's a her) to an outside pen to make room in the garage for the three chicks who are supposed to be hatching today. So far there is no sign of movement, but I've been very diligent this time around and am hopeful. I read in another thread that Brahmas can sometimes take up to 23 days.

Shilo is funny. When I reach into her cage she jumps and kicks at my hand and pecks. I was thinking that she was acting like a fighting cock because that's what it reminded me of. But she actually ends up standing in my hand so I'm not sure what she's doing.
I just hope its not a sign that she is a he.

Sure enough. First pip day 23.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom