This is Foot Rot (goat), right?

I have given it to my does via injection in all stages of pregnancy and never had a problem. I asked my vet about all the discussions against using during pregnancy, and she said it is fine for goats. I guess anything can cause an abortion, and a goat being off her feet seems to me to be one of the big ones. To keep the feet dry, after squirting with BioMycin, I use Carasopol for horses, it hardens the foot, and helps in wet pen situations.

Last edited:
A little over a month ago we inherited 8 angoras with 32 hooves that all looked like that and some worse. The buck and wether were down and a few of the girls were pretty bad off. All were limping. We knew what we were getting into when we agreed to this challange but believe in the long run it will be well worth the investment.

We have used many different products and soaks, some we have wrapped, some left open for air.. all get soaked. Spouse usually does the trimming while I work on a different one.. I will take heavy duty baggies and add a epson salt soaking solution and self tape them closed and let them soak while they are witing their turn to be trimmed & cleaned. Mike always finishes using the dremel to smooth and try to get as close as possible. We finish off with a good dousing of hoof n heal, if the frog is bleeding, raw and exposed we will wrap. Our Buck had real trouble with that.. he has one foot left that is very slowley coming around.. we ARE making progress.. still have a total of 5 hooves that we are struggling with.. but they look good.

OH VERY IMPORTANT... make sure they have their tetnus.. if not get it..
smile.png

The first thing I did was give her her shots to make sure she was UTD. She doesn't limp at all so I guess/hope that's a good sign. I also read that I could give her penicillin but like I said before I'd rather treat her topically until she's kidded. I have her separated in her own little pasture so hopefully it didn't spread to my other goats. I'll be spraying my other goats hooves every day in the hopes that it didn't. Why is it the most difficult goat has to be sick. It took me over an hour to catch her yesterday and that was in a small 50'x50' area
he.gif

There is nothing you can put on the outside that will readily correct the problem without treating the inside of the goat. NOTHING. And the longer you ponder this issue, and discuss it, and hold off on treatment, the more goats in your herd you will expose to hoof rot. She is sharing bacteria with every step.

The quickest product I have found for foot rot is jeffers Thrush Away. It's for horses. It's a purple liquid that comes in a 2 ounce bottle.
I trimmed the goats hoof and squirted this stuff on, waited a week and repeated and never had a problem again. I was amazed at how simple it was to use and how quick it worked.

I am so confused right now on whether or not to inject the pregnant does with LA-200?
I did the Buck & Wether and both are 98% better 24 hours later.. I also used it topicaly on the raw frogs.
I cannot believe the difference.
I want to do the girls, but am very afraid. BUT, I think I might be willing to get everyone up to 100%, even if it does mean a loss.. these guys all came in such poor shape.. who knows what the kids condition might be.

Anyone with opinions... I am tippy-toeing here..
hmm.png
scared, don't want to purposely hurt anyone of them.. but sure am happy with the boys progress.
smile.png

Quote:
I know it's very confusing. I read that you can inject LA 200 for abortion storms in your does and then in the same sentence it also stated that it could cause abortions. I've read more good about giving it then bad though. It is all personal choice
smile.png
This is why I always ask sooooo many questions.

WHat are thoughts of using it externaly on preg. does?
I am so impressed, they are even better this evening..

I spent the afternoon reading the merek manual
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/90528.htm
I wish I had started there 6 weeks ago.

After reading, I now realize we are dealing with a contagious disease.. so I will get the boys all better and they girls will reinfect them??

That sucks
barnie.gif

I gave 3ml to a Pygmy doe last week. She is due to kid next week. No problem, and that has been the case in about 20 pregnant does I have used it on over the years. Not one aborted.

For anyone who has been following along with this thread, Today I made the final decision. I WILL be treating all the does tomorrow with LA-200.
Tonight was the second treatment for the boys and I do not even reconize these guys. They are so much better. They both have spunk. They are both standing tall and on all 4 hoofs it just looks like I just did a bad trim job. The hamberger that was there 2 days ago is vertualy gone. It is like a miracle.

So, I figure on the girls, they probably should not have ever been bred in the condition they were in to begin with. If the do abort, it might not be the worst thing that could happen at this point. My goal should be to have a healthy herd before I try to increase it.

So while I don't want to hurt anyone, I have tried everything else. We have had "some" success, and maybe with milder cases maybe we would have made better progress and gotten a grip on this.. but right now, we have played around long enough.

Time to quit playing and get serious. So anyone else trying to make the same tough decision as we have.. hang around, I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Back
Top Bottom