This is Foot Rot (goat), right?

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
I cut back as much of the hoof as I could so debris couldn't get trapped anymore. So now I'm wondering what I can use to treat it with. I'd rather use something topical because she's pregnant. When I cleaned the hoof out it had a bad smell like an abcess but it wasn't wet inside. The inside had white powdery stuff in it, like dry hoof. It doesn't seem to bother her at all. She doesn't limp and runs around just like the other goats. The one thing I did notice was that her hooves are really hard compared to my other goats. I also read that Foot Rot is linked to Copper deficiency which she is lacking. So any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

I'd like to say that we got Pepper from someone who owned her for only 2 months and they got her from someone who had owned her for 4 years. In the 4 years that the previous owners owned her they never trimmed her hooves, NOT ONCE! I saw pictures of her hooves before they were trimmed they were horrendous.
IMG00107.jpg

This is the best picture I could get with my phone.

that is the starting of hoof rot and also copper def. You want to cut away anything where germs can hide and I use Doctor Naylors hoff & heel to dip my girls feet in. Also sometimes if the weather has been really wet for a long time this happens too. The walls pull away and it takes time for them to grow out. Trim her and dip feet as it will help and a copper bolus wont hurt.

Is hoof rot in goats the same as 'thrush' in horses?

If it is, we used to mix a mild bleach/water solution and squirt it on our horses hooves with a syringe, or let them stand in a shallow pan with the solution. Always cleared it rightup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trim the hoof back as far as you can to remove any diseased tissue. You will need to trim the bottoms, up the sides of the hoof on the outside and between the "toes". This trimming must be drastic. You will NOT make the hoof cause permanant damage, but ALL of the damaged tissue MUST be gone. The best product is Dr. Naylor's Foot Rot and Ring Worm medicine. If you cannot find Dr. Naylor's, you can substitute Clorox diluted with water 50% clorox and 50% water.

Keep the animal on dry hard ground if possible. Any bedding MUST be clean and DRY.

Keep treating the hoof until when you trim any hoof wall it looks normal again. This may take weeks.

Please keep us posted !

Thank you for the suggestions. I won't even ask my feed store for suggestions anymore. The last time I did that they gave me something that killed our Guinea Pig. So I'll ask for Dr. Naylor's today when I go. As far as keeping her off of wet ground though, did anybody notice that I live in Washington State
tongue.png
I just received my copper on friday and I'll be bolusing her today.

If she was here I would draw up 3ml of BioMycin/LA200 and squirt it on her foot. Then I would draw up another dose, and inject her. Both medications are safe for pregnant does, I have used them many times. They are not always safe for pregnant cattle.

Quote:
I have BioMycin but everyone keeps telling me that it's not good to give when does are pregnant. Does it matter how far along in the pregnancy she is. She's only 2 months along. Sometimes I hate being a goat mom. Too much conflicting information
barnie.gif
he.gif

I think I would call my farrier just to see what he would suggest as far as the trimming...if you aren't "good" at trimming healthy feet then a goat with foot rot isn't where you want to practice...then the vet for some advice and maybe a good pregnant safe antibiotic recommendation....lots of clean bedding... trim/check all the other goats in the herd...it sounds like you introduced a new goat with a problem...hopefully it hasn't infected the rest of your herd.

Back
Top Bottom