This is going to be my coop

kklowell

Songster
Mar 2, 2018
Bridgton, Maine
Now that we have our baby chicks I need to get serious about a coop. My sister-in-law has this playhouse in her backyard and has offered it to me. It's 145 miles away, but in two weeks I'm renting a trailer to go get it. The actual dimensions are 8'x8', but the interior usable size is more like 6'x8'. The front will stay the same, the run and next boxes will be on the back so that it doesn't detract from my wife's opinion of cute. There will be flower boxes on the windows also. I'm toying some with the idea of building a "dormer" on the back so I have the height to put a real door in somewhere, that front door is only about five feet tall.
coop.jpg

That's pretty sweet!
Looks like it's in good shape, kept off the ground, and a decent size.
Hopefully it's water tight, but if the roof needs work would be a prefect opportunity to improve entry and add ventilation along the eaves.
Hope you continue to update the is thread with your progress

That is super cute! I thought about converting a little playhouse but that ended up not panning out since most of them are simply too squat for a taller person.

Wonder if you could possibly put a door on the side, since the tallest part of the wall is under the gables?

That looks like a good place to start. It would take some help, but putting it up on stilts would make it easier to reach into and make it more secure. Just a thought. You could add nesting box access doors and a cleaning access door. You would have to lay it out and set the posts in concrete.

Wow, that's a great place to start!

(I love that it has a 'house' number on it :D)

Take lots of photos of the move, moving a 8' x 8' building can be fun. My Dad built a 10' x 10' coop and after he passed I moved it on a 8' x 16' trailer about 15 miles on back roads to my friends house. I bet that looked funny...

JT

Back
Top Bottom