This is my first year raising chickens, and i have a roosters question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mini_Dachshund, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Mini_Dachshund

Mini_Dachshund New Egg

Nov 11, 2007
    Ohio
    I have 17 birds(leghorns and bantams), around 5 of the bantams are roosters. they're about 4 or 5 months old, and don't fight yet. can you keep more than one rooster in a flock? and if not, around what age will they start fighting?
    Thanks

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Hi
    Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens. Generally roosters who are raised together don't fight. I would be concerned about your girls though, that many roosters to very few hens, your hens will be bared backed in no time. Basically the boys will over mate the girls.
    My suggestion in either build a bachelor pen and let one roo out with your girls, or sell or dispatch of the other roos. You only need and want 1 roo for every 12 girls,

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    You'd be hard pressed to get a fertilized egg with a bantam rooster trying to cover standard sized pullets (and try and try again they will!). Occasionally you'll get lucky, but it's rare.

Like Angie suggested, it'd be best they had their own pen separate from the females. Not only will it help keep the feathers on their backs, it'll help keep their stress levels down. [​IMG]

4. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Welcome.................I agree with Angie on everything but one part....Keep 2 roosters....the reason, if you only keep 1 you are taking a chance because it is possible he could be infertile. And you can always have a spare incase of what I just said or you could lose him to a predator. I always try to have an extra male on hand.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I agree with keeping two roosters. After years of raising chickens and knowing better I broke this rule. Wouldn't you know it...I lost the one rooster I had and now have to try and find another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by