This Is My LAST Try And Then I QUIT!!

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
My main fav breeds. Welsh Harlequins, Snowy Calls, Cayugas, and Magpies.

Slowly and successfully I've gotten my welsh's from another BYC'er. 3 females and 1 male who I now have another nice trio of ducklings from them plus more eggs going in the bator from them

Got a pair of pure snowy calls from an auction and she successfully hatched out 7 out of 7 ducklings

Cayugas. Well I got 4 females and 1 male. All lay but that good for nothing male doesnt know what a female is!!!!!
somad.gif
ok not so bad. Males mature faster then females right? so im just gonna order another male with my next duckling order

but the magpies? Im sooo fixing to give up on them! I've had my drake for a year now and dont have even one female for him! First order I had gotten him 3 females. Guess what? I got 2 males and 1 BLACK SWEDISH HEN! Second order I got 3 females. 2 crested 1 non crested. One died in shipment and another 2 days after they got here. and now my last female 3 months old. been perfectly fine falls over dead!
hit.gif
im positive its nothing im doing because I was raising other ducklings with them, and they all turned out healthy and big

This is my abselutely LAST try! im going to put in a Ideal order for 4, maybe even 5 female magpies so hopefully ill get atleast 1 female out of the group and a male cayuga! if it doesnt work this time I will have a magpie drake for sale in the next few months.. He's big, Fat, Lazy, and probably getting gray feathers waiting for me to get him some girls.
he.gif

I'm so sorry about your luck with this breed. Where did you order the other Magpies from that died? If it was the same hatchery, and you're sure that it isn't anything to do with your enviroment, I would totally consider going through a private breeder or at least a different hatchery. How completely frustrating for you. I hope your next duckling thrive.

I got my Magpies from Ideal. One died but the other 2 are doing very well. I only got them for eggs so no breeding here and they had better be girls! I have 2 drakes from the feed store so hopefully with only 15 ducks I have 2 boys and the rest girls in several different breeds.
One of my Magpies is crested but I don't mind a bit. Ideal does say they may send crested ducklings in the order and one of my Runners has a gorgeous crest so I think she is pretty. Two little cotton balls on her head but the Magpie's crest is the same color as her feathering and not as noticeable yet.

Good luck on your quest.

I always order way more birds than I think I need. When I can't get sexed birds I found even when I have ordered 8, I have sometimes got the same sex. Thats bad odds. Getting them raised to breeding age is to hard if you don't have enough allowed for things happening.

I ordered them from Ideal all 3 times. I would definetly try someplace else but I dont have room for minium order of 10-15 and dont have anyone who wants to add a few to the order with me

Have you considered ordering from a hatchery that has a minimum and selling the ones you don't want? Magpies are flashy and should sell well. I've found it easy to sell ducklings by posting notices at my feed store and local general store; others have had luck on Craigslist. Plus that way you can raise them until you know who your girls are.

"He's big, Fat, Lazy, and probably getting gray feathers waiting for me to get him some girls."

lau.gif
: gig

well its like i had two pekin males and i soooo wanted to get a female or two and i tried and tried and tried and every sale fell threw so i decided to get rid of the two males and i sold them...

guess what

im getting a female pekin tommorrow....
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom