1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This is no BR...I think

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rajzwaibel, Mar 23, 2008.

1. rajzwaibel

rajzwaibel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Almost 4 weeks ago we went to the feed store to get 3 barred rock hens. Now that they are older, I don't think that's what we got. I admit I am by no means an expert, but it looks like we have a roo, a hen, and some breed that I don't know of. I'm hoping someone could help me out please. Thank you very much. The first 2 pics are of the questionable bird. The third is of the hen, and the 4th is of the roo, I believe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    It looks like the first 2 pics are Austrolorps, and the last 2 pics are br's.

3. rajzwaibel

Mar 17, 2008
    Thank you. Can anyone confirm if the one BR is indeed a roo? I was hoping to not have one, and if it is indeed a roo, I'm afraid he will end up as dinner in a few months.

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought roo when I saw the last pic...

Good luck-
    Em

5. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  6. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel your pain. I have 2 favorite BR type and it looks like 1 of my 2 might be a roo because its comb is bigger, but I haven't given up hope yet!

7. rajzwaibel

Mar 17, 2008
    Oh, my neighbors will not be pleased [​IMG] Poor guy, maybe I'll find someone who needs a roo and try to give him away first before making him into dinner.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's really really hard to tell at such a young age. The first two could also be Black Giants. Baby chicks all look very similar at such a young age.

9. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    wait on making the diagnosis on the "boy" sometimes, like with my angel, the comb seems to grow to a point and then stop, making a hen! if that made any sense.... :|

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by