This is probably a crazy idea...

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
So, long story short, I am going on a long vacation very soon. The chickens will not get out for a LONG time. HOWEVER. What if my morning chore person let them out, and my evening time person put them back in? Maybe not everyday, just a couple times. I have never had many predator problems, a hawk twice a couple months ago, and one skunk that just meandered along and we saw only once. Is this crazy? To dangerous?

do they have a run or are they always free range? I think it's a better idea to have someone let them out and put them in. If they only free range then you'd need to be prepared to maybe loose a few, if predators are not a problem then I'd definitely have some one let them out.

Both. They have access to the run in the mornins, early afternoon I let them out to free range until it starts getting dark. I am worried they'll get bored and ornery and peck each other.

So, they would be confined to the coop and a run? How many birds and how much space are we talking about?

If it's enough space, I'd be inclined to just have your chore person put boredom busters in the run, rather than let them out. My first thought is the evening person might get there too early and not be able to get all the birds back in the coop.

So, they would be confined to the coop and a run? How many birds and how much space are we talking about?

If it's enough space, I'd be inclined to just have your chore person put boredom busters in the run, rather than let them out. My first thought is the evening person might get there too early and not be able to get all the birds back in the coop.
18 birds (newly integrated, which is why am worried.) a little over 200 feet in the coop, an about 30' of run. What type of boredom busters do you think? My evening person, (my aunt) lives 5 minutes away and she is more then willing to come over and maybe having to wait for them to come in on their own, and plus she and my cousins have experience with chasing chickens.

So - my grandpa might be coming over while we are gone and digging a hole - if the chickens are out, do you think they'll fall in/run in?

Back
Top Bottom