1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This is so not funny, but really is...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickPeas, Jun 27, 2008.

1. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    I have a roo that has been showing aggression towards me whenever I pick him up, move him around, whatever. He's only "attacked" me once or twice, like flying at me, but now all he does is bite. Bc of this, I had to start wearing gloves to pick him up with.

This morning as I was walking to his pen, he saw the gloves and was trying to jump at them. I figured he was just trying to be his big bad rooster self. [​IMG] When I picked him up, grabbed the gloves and hung on til I let him go. I took the gloves off and set them on the pen.

A few minutes later he jumped up grabbed the gloves off the pen and took off running in a small circle. Then he laid them on the ground, pecked at them pretty aggressively, grabbed one and then started mating with it!!! [​IMG] He was doing the nasty with my gloves!!! [​IMG]

After he finished, he just gazed at the gloves, pecked them a bit and went on his merry way.

Do chickens, ahem, engage in self-pleasure or is he just a frustrated teenager with no access to a girlfriend? It was very bizarre to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Cad. He'll probably never even call.

3. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    oh my goodness [​IMG] [​IMG] I dont care who you are that is funny!

4. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    What a great laugh you gave me this morning!!!!!

5. A Carolina Chick

A Carolina Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    NC
    You know some birds have shoe fetishes, I guess yours has a glove fetish! [​IMG]

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I wonder if it was a display of dominance. Other animals display dominance through sexual aggression, so maybe he was just setting those gloves straight after they "attacked" him. [​IMG]

Although, if this is the case, in his mind he has dominated your hands/gloves. So even though you were trying to put a biting rooster into his place, he more than likely thinks he won in the end. [​IMG]

It is pretty funny. And not a topic I expected to see so early in the morning.. Hadn't even had my coffee yet. [​IMG]

-Kim

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree with Kim, he has " won the battle"
    Now, does anyone have a towel? I need to wipe the coffee off my keyboard....thanks Oblio! [​IMG]

8. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks both of you for a good morning laugh!! Nice way to start the day!!

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey

Good one! That cracked me up. [​IMG]

JJ

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A good laugh but, unfortunately, I agree that he probably won. You are going to have to take measures to show him you are the boss. If you don't he may attack you any/everytime you go out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by