This is the cool thing about chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wingnut1, Jul 13, 2008.

1. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Watching them focus on *whatever* in the yard.. no way to explain it to those who don't understand the pleasure of their simplicity.. you BYC folks know what I mean, though, dontcha!? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Oh yes, I know I could sit all day in my yard and watch them scratch around.

3. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Totally. Their instincts are so finely attuned to the environment, and their social behavior is a never ending source of fascination.

And there's the comedy!

[​IMG]

~Phyllis

4. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    oh yes, i love watching my chickens. especially when they communicate with each other. they are so funny. i have one hen that is very vocal and i love to listen to her. don't know what she is saying but i'm sure it's important.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I spend too much time watching them...it's like Chicken TV

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    what I noticed we have a huge RIR rooster and he sure seems like the head honcho of the flock . the other 3 roosters can hardly get near the hens with BIG RED around .

He also communicates very well , he makes this awful sounding noise and all the hens and Teens move in opposite direction then he pays the 3 roosters back for messing with the rest of the flock . LOL

THE GOD FATHER SHOULD BE HIS NAME .... LOL

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :aww [​IMG]

7. drumstyx

drumstyx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado
    I live over a barn so when I walk out the door I am literally at work (lots of people, most of the time...a boarding facility). I have my garden spot tucked away, garden on one side and chicken coop and run on the other side. I go there to watch my chickens a lot during the day....great way to de stress and just get away from it all. I could watch them for hours. Watching chickens is just mesmerizing to me. It's my spot on the property.

8. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    You bet. I love to start and end my day with watching the gang. I never tire of it.

9. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

I KNEW you BYC folks would understand!!!

Penelope77 - my cuckoo maran uses the same language with me - I find myself clucking back, and I KNOW we are having a conversation. About what? Who knows. But I agree with you - it is VERY important!

And HEY - does EVERYBODY have a chicken that keeps running after bugs even when it means they are going to hit the wall/fence/whatever? Now THAT'S enthusiasm!! [​IMG]

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    yes . I also have the teens chasing each other and jumping over feeders and themselves to SEE WHAT the other has found . Its to funny . I actually thought one would try and jump over my 2 ft. RIR ROOSTER .

We took a pail of earth worms the other day and had a ball with these chickens . They went nuts .

actually broke them up in 1/2 ( BIG NIGHT CRAWLERS ) and tossed them one my one inside and HOLY MOSES talk about a Camera Moment to say the least . [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by