This IS The Week From He**..

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
First i get the bad news about my father. And now, this morning, i lost my Duke.
Were not exactly sure what happend.. he wasnt eating well the last couple of days... and yesterday he ate nothing at all, just drank water. So we were going to bring him to the vet this morning..
We stayed up all night taking turns checking on him..but he seemed okay..resting and snoring.
The not eating well had been a problem with him for a LOONG time, on and off. We took him to the vets and they checked him out several times. He JUST had been to the vets about a month ago.. And all they said was that he was fine and just had an ear infection, that we treated.
I switched his food to TOTW to see if that would help him gain some weight and have a better appetite. Honestly, we just thought he was being a picky eater, cause if i put some people food in the bowl, he'd eat all the people food and leave the dog food. So..anyway the not eating well was a normal thing that we dealt with with him frequently..
So i wasnt in a panic about it.. i was going to just call the vet in the morning and get him in that day...
So we got up at 7 to call th evet andget him in...and he couldnt even stand up... he tried and his front feet just scrabbled on the floor. We call the vet and say we are coming in right now.. We couldnt carry him, as he was 170lbs.. so we had to put a blanket under him and carry him to the van on that..
I laid in the back with him and just kept patting him and telling him i loved him and he was a good boy.. *ugh..now i'm crying again.*
When we pulled into the vets he started to gasp for air..i screamed for hubby to run in and get avet that he was dying,...
a vet came out and started to do chest compressions and telling him"come on buddy! Come on!" And i was calling his name, because i know that he could still hear me... i thought maybe he would come back for me..
Then the techs came out with a board and got him on it and brought him inside.. they tried to bring him back for a while but they just couldnt save him.
The vet said she thinks his heart just gave out..that bernards are known for it.. and that would explain his not eating and stuff too.. he must have had a heart problem that noone caught?
I know everyone says this, but he WAS the best dog. So gentle and kind and all he wanted was to be WITH you and loved on... He thought he was a 170lb lap dog...
The thing he liked to do was when we were laying on the couch, he would have to come and plop his big fat head on you and push aganist you and try to sneak up on the couch.. so he could lay on you and smother you and kiss you.. God, i'm going to miss that so much..
Hes the one that made me fall in love with Saint Bernards.. if only they could all be like him.

My female saint, Daisy, doesnt quite know what to do... they were best buds. The did everything together.. ate, slept,played..everything. Whenever they were seperated, they would each just bark and pace until the other one came back.. And thats what she is doing all day today.. i know that shes calling and looking for him. And thats just killing me too..

Heres the last pics i took of him a few weeks ago playing in the snow..
I'm so glad now that i took them.

020.jpg

001-1.jpg

2008_12250040.jpg

Last edited:
hugs.gif

Firstly, are you alright? How is this making you feel? Are you coping okay? Do you need anything?
hugs.gif

Secondly, I worry about a vet that knows St. Bernards have heart problems, this was an ongoing condition and yet they didn't check for it a month ago. It might be in your best interest to get a post mortem done as well as checking with other vetrinary practices. If you can stomach it, that is. I may be too sick to have that done to my puppy, so I understand.

How is Daisy holding up right now?

oh man I am soo very sorry. We too lost the worlds best dog, we lost ours on my birthday August 20th, you pretty much described what we went through with him. I know how hard it is, nothing I type can express how much I am hurting for you right now!
hugs.gif

hit.gif

I am so, so very sorry Red
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

If you have not buried him yet, let your girl Daisy be with you when you do. Everytime we have a dog who passes, we have a big funeral where all the dogs come and watch us bury the other. In fact, when we put my Arab gelding Toes down last January, we had the dogs with us - so that they would not look for him. (our Corso and Toes were best buddies and the Coros stayed with him for a bit)

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

I wonder if he had a heart-based hemangiosarcoma? St Bernards are known for those too and they usually go undiagnosed until they rupture and fill the pericardial sack with blood...then they go downhill QUICK and in exactly the way you're describing.

Oh Gosh Redhen,

I am so sorry to hear this. Wish there was something I could do. Sounds like Duke was a wonderful friend.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom