This is Weird, and I really need to know if anyone has this problem

Germaine_11.20

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Idaho
OK this is a bit long but here goes.

My baby chicks kept dying this past 6-9 months and some juvies too. For no reason. I went through the gamut trying different meds ect... finally I had enough and sent one in to have a necropsy.

The diagnosis came back that it was most likely "oral thrush" of the mouth and throat. It was too painful for them to eat so they just wasted away.

Here's the kicker though... For about 1-1/2 years I have had thrush also and recurrent yeast infections. I've used medicine and it gets a little better but never goes away.

After research I found that this can be transmitted from bird to human fairly easily.

I took a short trip about two weeks ago, and everything cleared up. Tongue normal, all other symptoms normal.

I came back and cleaned all the waterers and feed containers on Sunday and this afternoon, the thrush is back.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?

My gut says that the chickens need to go, this just isn't coincidental anymore. But I was hoping to find out if anyone else had this and how do I get it out of the ground where I am sure it is. Oxine everything over and over?

I would greatly appreciate any input (as long as you don't call me crazy) Thanks!

I think I would try a major session of probiotics on you and the chickens to try to establish good yeast to offset the bad yeast. Pounds and pounds of yogurt for all right after a session of the medicine.

Actually, I tried that. Kefir for both of us- It didn't work for me and the hens eggs became chalky- but thank you for that tip. A vet said to use Acidified Sulfate and follow the directions until it clears up, but I am thinking it's in the soil ect and I need for it to clear up yesterday.

I would do a lot of research before getting rid of my birds.

There are a lot of conditions that can be passed back and forth with your animals (zoonoses). I once had strep throat so many times my family doctor said if I came down with it one more time he wanted me to bring in my four dogs and he would take cultures from their throats as well. (It's that letting your dogs kiss you thing.......
tongue2.gif
sickbyc.gif
)

Anyway, you need to check how long the fungus (thrush) can live without a host and what disinfectants would kill it.

Good luck.

Deb

This built up over time, it didn't just hit at once, but now that it's here... I don't know any other way of getting rid of it other than to get rid of the chickens. I was really wanting to know if anyone else had this issue, I have already decided to get rid of the birds.

With a choice of my health or chickens... it's me that stays. There will be other years to start over fresh if I want to.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/27/candidiasis-moniliasis-thrush

A disease of the alimentary tract of chickens, turkeys, and sometimes other birds and mammals, characterised by thickening and white plaques on the mucosa, especially in the crop but sometimes in the proventriculus, intestine and cloaca, and associated with gizzard erosion.

The cause is a fungal yeast, Candida albicans and the condition is seen worldwide. Morbidity and mortality are usually low.

The route of infection is normally oral and the organism is often present in healthy animals with disease occurring secondary to stress and poor hygiene. The fungus is resistant to many disinfectants.

Signs

Dejection.
Poor appetite.
Slow growth.
Diarrhoea, possibly confused or masked by signs of the primary disease.
Post-mortem lesions

White plaques in mouth, oesophagus, crop, occasionally proventriculus and intestine.
Raised focal lesions may slough into lumen as caseous material.
Diagnosis

Lesions, histopathology, microscopic examination of a digested smear (heat in 10% potassium hydroxide) to demonstrate the hyphal forms of the yeast in the tissues. Colonies of this fungus appear as white to ivory colour, smooth and with a yeasty smell.

Treatment

Nystatin (100 ppm in feed) for 7-10 days, copper sulphate (1 kg/tonne feed) for 5 days, or copper sulphate 1gm/2 litre water for 3 days if approved locally.

Prevention

Avoid excessive use of antibiotics and other stressors. Ensure good hygiene, proprionic acid, sodium or calcium proprionate at 1 kg per tonne continually. A finely divided powder of copper sulphate (where approved) at 200gm/tonne continually or to 14-16 weeks in replacement pullets.

Control of Candida through drinking water is sometimes practised with chlorination (e.g. Chlorox, sodium hypochlorite) at 5 ppm. This is economical and effective. It should be repeated periodically. Take care to provide fresh clean feed and water, uncontaminated by fungi.

I had thrush once and I can vouch for how very painful it is to eat - no wonder poor chickies starve. I believe mine came from spending a couple days at my friend's one room cabin. She had 3 big dogs, and about a half dozen cats. The cats had diarrhea, she washed the floors and then dumped the filthy water down the kitchen sink. Her cats also laid all over the dishes in the dish drainer etc. Okay I don't like cats. But...what a pig. I never had it before or after that episode. This was way before google days when you could research anything at anytime.

I'm confused. It's in the soil? The chickens are giving it to you? It cleared up when you went away...from the soil or the chickens? I am not normally so dense.
sharon

Sorry this whole this has been confusing, and ongoing for too long. But through process of elimination, the necropsy and plain good luck I am certain it's the chickens.

My immune system is now very sensitive to the candida. My ex also had it and my dad got some fungal thing on the side of his foot Not athletes foot, but fungal on the side. My little grandson got thrush after being in the coop but I wasn't sure at that time if that was the cause but that was a huge clue.

So it is all over here (my guess) as chickens do poop everywhere. The adult birds are fine but this is particular to stress. And stress we get from heat, cold, coyotes, fox, badger, wild dogs..... the young birds don't handle it as well.

All my symptoms cleared up while I was gone and the few days after that I had my dad and son doing the chickens. Then after yesterday - the first real day with the birds in over 10 days - I find the thrush is back this afternoon. I've had it long enough to know what it looks like, and feels like.

I had my hands in water cleaning all the containers out for a few hours. When I clean, I clean. That is the only thing I did different in the past ten days. And considering this has been going on and on for a long time--go figure. I am always out there in the water and poo, cleaning.

Most people probably don't have issue with it transmitting back and forth. I do.

I found a post on here from August pertaining to it also. nurse_turtle:

Thrush (Candida) Infections

Thrush (candida) infections are diagnosed by the microscopic examination of a stained (gram stain) dropping or mouth swab. A culture test will confirm the severity of the infection and help to identify an underlying cause.

What is thrush?
Thrush is a common disease of pet and other birds. It is a condition that distresses the bird, causing it to become depressed and lifeless. A bird with thrush often shows dropping changes because the infection irritates the bowel lining. The dropping of thrush commonly infects the mouth, causing birds to swallow excessively. It may even infect the sinus and cause sneezing. Thrush infections are potentially life threatening when left unattended.

Thrush is always caused by an underlying stress factor. Stress factors include, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, fluctuating temperatures, environmental change, psychological stress and underlying illness.

How is thrush treated?
Thrush infections require a 5-7 day course of Mycostatin treatment. The Mycostatin is best administered directly by mouth. If this is not possible, a drinking water treatment may be effective. Remove all seed, grit, seed bells and fruit, from the cage. Disinfect the cage with a Water Cleanser and start your bird on sterile seed.

Are there any other special instructions?
To accelerate the healing process I recommend that all birds with thrush infections be given Turbobooster, Energy supplement and Fvite on the sterile seed daily for three weeks and then three times a week after this time. Following the antibiotic treatment, Dufoplus and Ioford are given twice weekly in the drinking water. Ensure your bird is actually eating and drinking. If not, it will need special force feeding in hospital.

Are there any long term problems?
Thrush infections may leave your bird susceptible to illness in the future. A Water Cleanser is added to the drinking water for two consecutive days. It is then given two days each week, followed by Dufoplus and Ioford to help control recurrence. To further protect your bird from repeat infections follow the health programme in the accompanying brochure.

Is this disease contagious to humans or other birds?
Although thrush infections are not highly contagious, they may be transmitted from bird to human by close contact, especially kissing. It may also be transmitted from bird to bird via the dropping.

Can thrush infections be prevented from recurring?
Thrush infections are always related to stress factors. Special care must be taken to minimise potential stress on the bird. This may be in the form of environmental changes or nutritional adjustments. By following the ongoing health programme your bird is provided with all minerals and nutrients it needs for ongoing health and vitality.

Man that's crazy! I love my birds but like not being sick more. So, if you get rid of the chickens....then what? Can you disinfect the soil? Would you be able to get more later?
sharon

Back
Top Bottom