This is why I am not getting another (second) horse

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
and am going for horsepower instead.

I got to the barn this afternoon to see my retired TB come out of his stall tip toeing on the rear left. The boy blew out his old curb.
he.gif

Not last Monday when I had the entire week off to hang out and cold hose. Not on Friday night when I had Sat and Sunday to cold hose and keep an eye on him. Nope. He did it either last night or today. (No idea as to when it happened.) Now that I have to be at work in the morning and have the kid with me in the afternoon.
somad.gif

I dont ride him since I just dont have the time to. But I was going to start lunging him and building him back up this week. Not now.
So tomorrow after I pick the kid up I will hose his leg. and then cold wrap it. He is on bute. I am just trying to make and keep him comfortable. In the four years I have owned him he has tested my equine management and emergency care skills to the max. The boy is lucky I adore him.

Yup. Horse power. Not horses.

Ugh what a bad situation.
Wish I was closer I would come help, right after my foot heals though
but then again him and I could be gimpy toogether ,. or I could have some of that ER management he is gettng? Do I sound a bit jealouse?
well yep I am lol.

Quote:
Gods help him should he decide to not respect fencing.
roll.png

The first year I had him I spent hand walking him after he abscessed and came in from the field three legged lame. Then it was a really bad episode of choke, which prompted me to move him from the place I was boarding since no one bothered to call me or my vet during or after the event. Since then it has been him cutting himself by stepping on himself. Oh and Easter he ran himself into a sweat, for some reason only known to him, and then tied up.
I love him. He's a great horse. My best friend. That first year we connected on so many levels. And I am super grateful for the experiences I have had with other horses that I recognize this stuff he throws at me. And that I have a great vet that I call if needed. *And he knows that I can handle things so he tells me what to do and such and doesnt come out unless it is a HUGE things I cant do*
And a friend that is a "old timer" harness trainer that I can call in a pinch as well. Plus his old trainer.
But every time I think. 'I am going to start him lunging again at a walk on the hill in his paddock and get him thinking and moving again' He does something like this.
idunno.gif

Cars are a hassle at times. But they dont hurt and limp like an animal I love does. He breaks my heart when he is hurting.

Okay, I'll bite. Is this a local term or just something I have never heard of? The boy blew out his old curb

Love it when I learn something new. But I am sorry that I gained this knowledge due to your horse's problem. I have been around horses for over 50 years and never heard it called curb. Thank you for posting the link for me. Best wishes for a steady improvement in his condition.

Back
Top Bottom