This is why I shouldn't trust eBay

It is sad that you didn't get what you paid for! I hope that the seller made an honest mistake and packaged the wrong eggs. I would try contacting the seller and then ebay. Good luck.
That said, they are real cuties & I'll take them all off your hands. ;)

You're actually kind of lucky. I bought duck and goose eggs last year and had great hatch rates so I decided to try chicken eggs this year. Multiple batches. Each batch was incubated with two of my own barnyard mix. All of the BYM hatched but one. So far none of the shipped eggs has hatched. Here's what I dealt with.

À batch of 10 Easter Eggers that were rotten, the first one exploded two days after going into the incubator. All of them either developed the stink or exploded.

6+ Bresse eggs that were actually 5 eggs that looked like Wellsummers. They were packed in sawdust with no bubble wrap or foam. Possibly due to shipping but more likely because they were as fertile as they were Bresse, none of them showed any development at all.

Another batch of 12 Easter Eggers the seller shipped 18, 3 broke, and nothing developed.

7 crested cream legbar. Very well packed in foam, no signs of rough handling, but no indication of fertility either, nothing hatched.

I also have 6 more Ancona owed from someone in Florida who hasn't shipped eggs that were ordered two weeks ago. Anyone who needs two weeks to collect and ship 6 fresh eggs seems like another scammer to me.

Currently in the incubators are 3 Ancona chicken eggs out of 14 that were shipped. I was supposed to candle yesterday, but didn't bother. 8 very expensive Bresse eggs out of an order of 10. One of the two that broke during shipping was fertile and I'm hoping it wasn't the only one. And 8 CCL and 4 EE I drove an hour to pick up since I've resolved not to buy any more chicken eggs on Ebay.

The way egg sales are structured the buyer takes all the risks, and eBay only gives you 30 days to provide feedback, which isn't enough time to evaluate the eggs. I'm not saying you can't get good eggs on eBay, but there seem to be quite a few dishonest people selling eggs too. I mean all they have to do is buy a dozen eggs for a few dollars at the grocers, claim they're something they aren't, and sell them for twenty or thirty times what they were bought for. The buyer pays the shipping, the eggs probably won't hatch, and the seller pockets a tidy profit. You don't need to be NPIP or even have chickens.

At least you have some new genes in your flock. .

You're actually kind of lucky. I bought duck and goose eggs last year and had great hatch rates so I decided to try chicken eggs this year. Multiple batches. Each batch was incubated with two of my own barnyard mix. All of the BYM hatched but one. So far none of the shipped eggs has hatched. Here's what I dealt with.

À batch of 10 Easter Eggers that were rotten, the first one exploded two days after going into the incubator. All of them either developed the stink or exploded.

6+ Bresse eggs that were actually 5 eggs that looked like Wellsummers. They were packed in sawdust with no bubble wrap or foam. Possibly due to shipping but more likely because they were as fertile as they were Bresse, none of them showed any development at all.

Another batch of 12 Easter Eggers the seller shipped 18, 3 broke, and nothing developed.

7 crested cream legbar. Very well packed in foam, no signs of rough handling, but no indication of fertility either, nothing hatched.

I also have 6 more Ancona owed from someone in Florida who hasn't shipped eggs that were ordered two weeks ago. Anyone who needs two weeks to collect and ship 6 fresh eggs seems like another scammer to me.

Currently in the incubators are 3 Ancona chicken eggs out of 14 that were shipped. I was supposed to candle yesterday, but didn't bother. 8 very expensive Bresse eggs out of an order of 10. One of the two that broke during shipping was fertile and I'm hoping it wasn't the only one. And 8 CCL and 4 EE I drove an hour to pick up since I've resolved not to buy any more chicken eggs on Ebay.

The way egg sales are structured the buyer takes all the risks, and eBay only gives you 30 days to provide feedback, which isn't enough time to evaluate the eggs. I'm not saying you can't get good eggs on eBay, but there seem to be quite a few dishonest people selling eggs too. I mean all they have to do is buy a dozen eggs for a few dollars at the grocers, claim they're something they aren't, and sell them for twenty or thirty times what they were bought for. The buyer pays the shipping, the eggs probably won't hatch, and the seller pockets a tidy profit. You don't need to be NPIP or even have chickens.

At least you have some new genes in your flock. .

Who'd you buy your Bresse eggs from? I got some and 2 out of 12 hatched, but I'm suspicious of their parentage because the cockerel has a coronation comb and the pullet has black spots and darker skin...otherwise they're gorgeous though.

Who'd you buy your Bresse eggs from? I got some and 2 out of 12 hatched, but I'm suspicious of their parentage because the cockerel has a coronation comb and the pullet has black spots and darker skin...otherwise they're gorgeous though.
The sawdust packed ones came from the guy whose ad headline says something about most expensive chicken $100. The ones in the incubator now are from someone who offered a 17% discount to the people who had them on their watch list. His ad says something about 2017 greenfire lines and I believe he's in Georgia.

Ah. The guy I bought from is in Florida, but he also mentioned the 2017 Greenfire lines. He was a real butt when I tried to communicate that he might have a sneaky rooster or something since I got such an odd couple of birds...even though I told him multiple times I wasn't bothered cause stuff happens, I just thought he'd like to know. The eggs had good fertility though, I just had an incubator issue that I wasn't aware of. Here's his current listing for the same item: Discounted 12+ Bresse chicken fertile hatching eggs / With Safe Ship Guarantee

Ah. The guy I bought from is in Florida, but he also mentioned the 2017 Greenfire lines. He was a real butt when I tried to communicate that he might have a sneaky rooster or something since I got such an odd couple of birds...even though I told him multiple times I wasn't bothered cause stuff happens, I just thought he'd like to know. The eggs had good fertility though, I just had an incubator issue that I wasn't aware of. Here's his current listing for the same item: Discounted 12+ Bresse chicken fertile hatching eggs / With Safe Ship Guarantee
The people who are the most defensive are the ones I'm most suspicious of. I've had people who offered to replace eggs, but I generally decline. Just because the post office broke eggs (even lots in some cases) I don't think I'm owed more. I know the risks when I buy. But when eggs arrive rotten I'm really not happy. When I get no chicks and I know it's not an incubator problem I'm not happy. And when the eggs are clearly not the breed the seller claimed they were I'm not happy. I've been unhappy enough times this year that I'm not interested it gambling any more when the payout has been non-existent to date. If I'd just ordered chicks from a hatchery I might have paid a little more (even though I already paid a lot), but I'd have a great deal more to show for it.

Back
Top Bottom