This little duck went swimming one day . . .

allz28

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2017
Hi folks. I'm mostly here for the ducks since we aren't allowed to have chickens in our neighborhood.

We have 2 mallard ducks that we raised this year. We started with 4 but unfortunately a hawk injured one when it stuck its head through the pen wire, and a cat killed another when they were out of the pen.

I read a lot of posts on here to learn how to raise these for the first time, so I figured it's time I join. Plus I hope to raise more next spring.

My wife and I have 3 kids (ages 3, 2, and 6 weeks) and we have a YouTube channel called "Modern Tom Sawyer." We also have a black and tan coonhound and 2 kittens (not the cats that killed our duck). Our Coonhound thinks she's the mom of the ducks and the kittens think the ducks are their friends.

Nice to meet you!

Welcome to BYC! :frow
We are glad you joined.
This video should help you find your way around this site, enjoy!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. What a great coon hound. Maybe she doesn't fend off cats because she is used to being around your cats/kittens. Cat & dogs (mostly running free) are serious predators of chickens. Neighbors tend to just turn them loose and not be the least bit concerned about any damage/death they cause.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. What a great coon hound. Maybe she doesn't fend off cats because she is used to being around your cats/kittens. Cat & dogs (mostly running free) are serious predators of chickens. Neighbors tend to just turn them loose and not be the least bit concerned about any damage/death they cause.

Yes, I do think we have one of the best dogs in the world! And you're probably right about her not fending off cats. In her mind, squirrels are much more evil! lol

Back
Top Bottom