this little runt can not be a meatie... so what is it? pic included

Either she (hopefully) got mixed up at the hatchery or at the bins at the feed store. Can't tell you how many times I have seen chicks in the wrong bin so I would guess the feed store myself.

Personally, I would call up the feed store where I got the chick and find out what breeds they had come in from the hatchery with the meat bird order. They should have a clear record and be able to tell you. Standard breed egg layers are usually sexed pullets so if it a mix-up with one of those breeds odds are good its a girl. Let us know what you find out!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses!

Pele, she (putting out the female energy here, lol) was a caramel color when she first came. We had ordered 3 Red Rangers and 3 Cornish so I just assumed she was growing a little slower. then she started to roost and I decided she was definetly not a meat bird.

dretd, great idea. they should have a record of what kind of birds they recieved that day. I'll give them a call, maybe we can scratch some off the list.

I will be very excited if this is in fact a female, I just lost one of my year old RIR's last night (she had severe crop issues that i could not fix) RIP my little red hen
hit.gif

Last edited:
ok, so I called the feed store and they did recieve a delivery of layers the same day as the meaties. so, female is looking pretty positive!
clap.gif

here are the choices:

Production Red
NH Red
Golden Comet
Light Brama
Buff Orphington
Black Australorp (I guess we can rule this one out, lol)

you'll have to forgive my spelling on some of these.

ok, so I called the feed store and they did recieve a delivery of layers the same day as the meaties. so, female is looking pretty positive!
clap.gif

here are the choices:

Production Red
NH Red
Golden Comet
Light Brama
Buff Orphington
Black Australorp (I guess we can rule this one out, lol)

you'll have to forgive my spelling on some of these.
Light Brahmas will be a White Columbian pattern with feathered feet so not this choice, BA you already ruled out for obvious reasons, and although there is variability in Buff Orpingtons the are usually a more, well, buff colored.
That leaves NH Red, Production Red and Golden Comet. I don't have personal experience with any of these guys, although friends have had Sexlinks and it seems like the color is somewhat descriptive (ISA Brown, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet) and yours seems pretty red for a 'golden'. I am going to guess NH Red or Production Red, buts thats just a guess mind you. It is looking good for a girl, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

And sorry to hear about your loss, that very sad.

Back
Top Bottom